• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn 122 "first NYX" NM candidate???
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a clean copy of Spawn 122. It looks to present well at NM maybe even NM+, but it has an issue I'm unsure of. the upper left corner has a bindery tear. Would anyone know how badly this will affect the grade? Will it take it out of the 9's?

IMG_5553.thumb.jpeg.b7a4a186ac37901aeb042328db96bdd4.jpegIMG_5552.thumb.jpeg.b089c2554ed26553421e7399dff90294.jpeg 

IMG_5552.jpeg

On 2/23/2023 at 8:06 PM, y75stingray said:

ok, theres a big difference between 10cm and 3/8ths of an inch. 10cm is almost four inches.

Sorry.  I meant 10mm.

On 2/23/2023 at 5:43 PM, y75stingray said:

Ok, so same question but now we’ll call it a spine split. 

Is it a spine split (the paper actually being fully separated) or spine cracking (which is more about the inks)? Spine cracking/feathering is common on many books from the past few decades, though this example is worse than average. Either way, it should affect the grade, but a split is significantly worse.

Actually, upon very close examination it is not split all the way through the cover! So I guess it’s not actually a split.  It’s through the ink and a good amount of the fibers for sure, but there is still connected cover paper even at the very top of the corner.