• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales #110 Top & Bottom Staple replaced

22 posts in this topic

I have owned a Strange Tales #110 for a while that CGC gave a qualified grade of 3.5 due to the top and bottom staples being replaced . 

Grader's Notes:

Staple replaced Bottom A-1
Staple replaced Top A-1
fade front cover
light, multiple crease back cover
light, multiple crease front cover breaks color
small split bottom of spine
small, multiple tear cover
tape interior cover

I see where CCS states that staple replacement is not a candidate for restoration removal. Is there any other options? The goal in mind is to get a Blue label naturally. 

On 2/25/2023 at 11:01 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I have owned a Strange Tales #110 for a while that CGC gave a qualified grade of 3.5 due to the top and bottom staples being replaced .

A Qualified (Green Label) Grade?  Are you sure it's not an Apparent/Restored Grade and encapsulated with a Purple Label?  hm

I am unaware of CGC giving out blue labels with staple replacement :shiftyeyes:.  I imagine the only way to get a blue label on this book (assuming no restoration and conservation) is to remove the staples and get a blue detached cover grade.  If I am wrong - I'd like to know.  :preach:

On 2/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, Pizza Boy said:

Yeah, my guess is not Green.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4083/

Replaced staples can qualify for Conserved label - so my guess this book was graded long before the Conserved label was a thing and would benefit from being regraded (especially since it is already clearly designated A-1)

On 2/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Replaced staples can qualify for Conserved label - so my guess this book was graded long before the Conserved label was a thing and would benefit from being regraded (especially since it is already clearly designated A-1)

So I now confirmed it is a greel label.in the other posts where I also show pictures of the staples which look nice and shiny to me. How is a Conserved label superior to a Qualified Label? What color is a Conserved label and how does it impact value? 

Edited by O Doyle Rules

On 2/25/2023 at 3:11 PM, Roger66 said:

I am unaware of CGC giving out blue labels with staple replacement :shiftyeyes:.  I imagine the only way to get a blue label on this book (assuming no restoration and conservation) is to remove the staples and get a blue detached cover grade.  If I am wrong - I'd like to know.  :preach:

Me too!

On 2/25/2023 at 5:53 PM, Pizza Boy said:
On 2/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Replaced staples can qualify for Conserved label

Yup, as long as they're vintage.

The staples look nice and shiny. (See my photos in other posts) How does one determine vintage staples? 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:35 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

The staples look nice and shiny. (See my photos in other posts) How does one determine vintage staples? 

This is where it gets difficult, as CGC has already designated the staple work to be of A-1 quality I'm thinking they are in fact vintage staples (that were at most cleaned prior to installation or pulled from another minty book of the same era by a professional) and it was just a label oversight, OR since it was graded in 2017 there is a chance they thought these are not vintage and hence why it could not qualify for conserved designation.

The value for a Conserved vs Qualified would be higher (a couple hundred dollars at most I think) as it is regarded as a positive rather than a negative defect present (much like restoration which can hurt the book). If you resubmit the book I would include a note stating 'CONSERVED: Staples replaced' (I submit all my conserved work this way).

On 2/26/2023 at 11:58 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This is where it gets difficult, as CGC has already designated the staple work to be of A-1 quality I'm thinking they are in fact vintage staples (that were at most cleaned prior to installation or pulled from another minty book of the same era by a professional) and it was just a label oversight, OR since it was graded in 2017 there is a chance they thought these are not vintage and hence why it could not qualify for conserved designation.

The value for a Conserved vs Qualified would be higher (a couple hundred dollars at most I think) as it is regarded as a positive rather than a negative defect present (much like restoration which can hurt the book). If you resubmit the book I would include a note stating 'CONSERVED: Staples replaced' (I submit all my conserved work this way).

Thanks so much! 

If your intention is to sell it, then I honestly would leave it as is. Regrading fees would just add to your costs, and honestly most seasoned buyers would regard this as one of the better Qualified books to pick up (as it doesn't feature missing parts or major damage) so would fair better at auction compared to other qualified copies of similar grade.

If this is for your personal collection and you want a blue label due to OCD, well that is your call if the money for re-grading gamble is worth it.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, Sauce Dog said:

If your intention is to sell it, then I honestly would leave it as is. Regrading fees would just add to your costs, and honestly most seasoned buyers would regard this as one of the better Qualified books to pick up (as it doesn't feature missing parts or major damage) so would fair better at auction compared to other qualified copies of similar grade.

If this is for your personal collection and you want a blue label due to OCD, well that is your call if the money for re-grading gamble is worth it.

Probably more OCD related as I don't have any immediate plans to sell it. So they would actually regrade instead of just changing it to a conserved label. That is definitely a consideration. Your seasoned buyers statement I totally believe, but at the same time there are probably more yahoos like me that are not so much in depth into the finer points. They (like me) are simply just looking at it and thinking Blue Label > Green Label. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:02 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

So I could possibly get a label looking like this? 

conserved.jpg

Yup, that would be how it would look. No guarantee (as maybe CGC sees something with the staples they didn't put in the grader notes) but still a decent gamble in your favour if regraded (can't just be reholdered - it has to be regraded in this case)

Maybe expect a lesser grade when coming back blue label. Qualified grades are usually higher than universal grades on the same book. For Qualified you may also read Apparent. (In my understanding anyway. Someone will correct me if I'm talking nonsense!)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Replaced staples used to get you an automatic green label and a note.  There was no changing it to blue for a lower grade... I know, I asked.  But that was before the Conserved label.

Jump ahead several years and I submitted a Batman 5 that I had replaced a staple on (it was a rusty mess and I wanted to prevent any further damage).  It got a Conserved label with a note.

Since this was slabbed back in 2017, it might be worth seeing if they will give it a Conserved label.