• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Connect Experience??

11 posts in this topic

I know this has been discussed in the past, but after not having bought anything from them in a while I recently bought a few lots at what I thought were very reasonable prices from Comic Connect.  The image below is of a copy of Tales of Suspense 55, sold as part of a three book lot graded at VG+.  One book was VG+...other was VG...then this one.  So much for a VG+ average.  Same was true for an Iron Man lot graded F+.  More like VG+

Is this an isolated problem or do I need to do the old "subtract a full grade or more" trick before buying from there again??  

Thanks

IMG_4619.jpg

yes, CC/Metro gives their books about a 1 point grade bump on raws. That's how they roll. 

They aren't alone either. Superworld pulls this $%$# too as a few select others do as well

Joe Nacca, and on and on....

And they're not stupid, they know full well what they are doing. Somewhat akin to giving u a reach around and then refusing to take you to dinner afterwards

I refuse to buy raws from these clowns

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 2/26/2023 at 10:43 PM, Courageous Cat said:

They aren't alone either.

Well, I guess you really shouldn't include Heritage in this group here because bidders are paying more for their raw Heritage graded books than they are for the CGC graded certified copies when it comes to some of the GA sales results I've seen.  :whatthe:

I guess that's probably why we are seeing more and more raw books in their Sunday/Monday auctions and also why Heritage has a big hiring blitz out for GA and SA graders right now.   Especially why would you even bother sending in books to be graded by a third party like CGC at a huge cost when they can make more money grading it themselves and selling them raw.  hm  (shrug)

On 2/27/2023 at 3:11 AM, Larryw7 said:

I never had any problems with Superworld Ted. I've always felt that his books.were within striking distance of the assigned grade. Now Metro on the other hand... :fear:

sorry, but you've been around long enough to have heard the tales of 'ole overgrading Ted, and they all true . Hell, just look at that $%$# he has on his website and you can play name the grade and it ain't close

On 2/27/2023 at 3:11 AM, Larryw7 said:

I never had any problems with Superworld Ted. I've always felt that his books.were within striking distance of the assigned grade. Now Metro on the other hand... :fear:

I agree.  I've bought a number of books from Ted over the last 5 years or so. Mostly in person, at his store or at shows.  I've never had a problem with his grading and have found him to be very reasonable to work with. 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess you really shouldn't include Heritage in this group here because bidders are paying more for their raw Heritage graded books than they are for the CGC graded certified copies when it comes to some of the GA sales results I've seen.  :whatthe:

I guess that's probably why we are seeing more and more raw books in their Sunday/Monday auctions and also why Heritage has a big hiring blitz out for GA and SA graders right now.   Especially why would you even bother sending in books to be graded by a third party like CGC at a huge cost when they can make more money grading it themselves and selling them raw.  hm  (shrug)

Yeah I have not personally had the same issue with Heritage.  I have bought a lot of raw books from them and on balance, mostly agree with the grades.  

Thanks for the feedback everyone...I will call this a "lesson learned".

On 2/27/2023 at 7:03 AM, Concorde said:

Yeah I have not personally had the same issue with Heritage.  I have bought a lot of raw books from them and on balance, mostly agree with the grades.

Yes, especially surprising considering all of the other shall we say "questionable or funny business" antics which they have been accussed of partaking in, their raw grading does not seem to be one of them.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

On 2/27/2023 at 7:47 AM, KCOComics said:

I agree.  I've bought a number of books from Ted over the last 5 years or so. Mostly in person, at his store or at shows.  I've never had a problem with his grading and have found him to be very reasonable to work with. 

Same here although, I'll admit I've never bought off his website.... (shrug)

On 2/27/2023 at 5:13 AM, Courageous Cat said:

sorry, but you've been around long enough to have heard the tales of 'ole overgrading Ted, and they all true . Hell, just look at that $%$# he has on his website and you can play name the grade and it ain't close

I've read .about a few cases of overgrading by Ted on this board years ago (we're talking 15-20 years). I don't buy a lot of books from Ted, but I've never experienced anything from him similar to Metro.