• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age round corners, Ware or manufacturing defect?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

They had to have started life sharp since the guillotine process involved cuts at right angles to each other. Storage wear (being moved around) accounts for rounded corners on older books, even when there hasn't been much actual handling. Often referred to as blunted corners or softened corners.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 2/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

They had to have started life sharp since the guillotine process involved cuts at right angles to each other. Storage wear (being moved around) accounts for rounded corners on older books, even when there hasn't been much actual handling. Often referred to as blunted corners or softened corners.

So there is no way that a corner could be cut during manufacturing that would yield a slightly round shape?

I've looked at these corners under magnification and I do not see any sign of softening or damage to the paper.

The paper edge is sharp but the ink on the edge looks like very slight signs of marvel chipping. I've seen example of silver age graded books that received a 9.8 and had similar defect. I would have thought that if it was handling they would of been flagged as such and received a lesser grade.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:45 PM, arDeaton said:

I've looked at these corners under magnification and I do not see any sign of softening or damage to the paper.

You're right, the paper simply isn't there. Either Marvel chipping occured and the corner was blunted that way (so in a sense due to manufacturing, but not deliberate,) or over time a little rub here and there, either in a stack of on its own, and the fibres are removed. Edit: Chances are it still left the press with sharp corners though.

SA comics like this probably didn't see a bag n board until at least ten years after they were printed. Lots can and did happen in that time. Glad to see someone getting the magnifier on their corners! I love the forensic side of comics.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 2/27/2023 at 1:52 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

You're right, the paper simply isn't there. Either Marvel chipping occured and the corner was blunted that way (so in a sense due to manufacturing, but not deliberate,) or over time a little rub here and there, either in a stack of on its own, and the fibres are removed. SA comics like this probably didn't see a bag n board until at least ten years after they were printed. Lots can and did happen in that time. Glad to see someone getting the magnifier on their corners! I love the forensic side of comics.

Yup I think all things considered it is like you said "so in a sense due to manufacturing, but not deliberate"

Thanks for your insight. 

On 2/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, Pizza Boy said:

I get it...

CGC should ignore the blunted corners because they're manufacturing defects.

That's some funny :censored: right there lol

I'm trying to learn how to Identify defects and discern wether it falls under ware associated with handling or manufacturing nothing more nothing less. 

On 2/27/2023 at 2:47 PM, arDeaton said:

I'm trying to learn how to Identify defects and discern wether it falls under ware associated with handling or manufacturing nothing more nothing less. 

Most manufacturing defects are considerably more noticeable than what I'm seeing here. And this is still a sharp looking copy, especially since it has a black background.  (thumbsu