• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Akira 11 - how much deduction for color loss/color rub/scuffing?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just looking for opinions on a grade for books like this. Has significant amount of color loss/rub/scuffing on the back cover. How much should I deduct for an issue like this?

The front cover is nice and looks high grade (VF/NM range) but back cover doh!

Thank you for any replies! (worship)

image.thumb.jpeg.452eb4eb66d25666ea9968409781e322.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01f5051d2970565610674fee09df57b8.jpeg

I see small bindery tears and slightly blunted corners, minor to moderate color rub on front cover and moderate to severe scuffing/color rub on the rear cover.

I have no idea how CGC views this, IMO, the book without the scuffing would be in the NM- 9.2 range, with the scuffing, no better than...

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

Thank you for the replies so far. The color rub/scuffing bothered me so much that I have it as a 4.0 in my spreadsheet. Maybe I need to rethink the grade a bit. The front cover is great. If the back looked like the front, I think it would be 8.5 maybe 9.0. 

Thanks again for the responses!

Same boat as @Mars76, I'm not super familiar with the series (or at least, the individual comics), but I've come across many issues that have similar color rub issues. I'll tentatively say 7.0/7.5, but color rub/scratching is not something I'm super comfortable with grading yet. Without it 8.5, but I also have a hard time seeing this book dropping 4+ tiers for the color rub...but I dunno, still new...I'm interested to see what more seasoned graders think.

My gut says 7.5 as it's a really nice book structurally but the colour rub is quite extensive/intrusive.

(One thought occurs: Would CGC view that defect the same,  grade wise, if it was on the FC? Or would it be punished more for ruining a key part of the aesthetic?)

Put another way, I could live with this defect on the back but would have a hard time loving it, if it was on the FC.

Two things hurt here: the color rub is pretty extensive and the back cover is also relevant to the book (i.e. not an ad). I see some light rub on the front parallel to the spine too I think. My guess is that these Akira books end up with more color rub b/c their format was intended for bookshelf storage, not necessarily bagged. 6.0/6.5

On 2/28/2023 at 10:49 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

My gut says 7.5 as it's a really nice book structurally but the colour rub is quite extensive/intrusive.

(One thought occurs: Would CGC view that defect the same,  grade wise, if it was on the FC? Or would it be punished more for ruining a key part of the aesthetic?)

Put another way, I could live with this defect on the back but would have a hard time loving it, if it was on the FC.

I think the official line is that it doesn't matter. However to collectors it really does for the reasons above.