• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Graders - Experience Level vs. Grading Tier?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I heard mentioned on a YouTube video (Future Past Vintage Collectibles, I believe) . . . who stated they will now only submit at the 'Economy' level at a minimum, even for Modern books, because they have more experienced graders..

Question: Are there different staff at the varying level of Grading Tier submission? In other words - are 'Modern Tier' submissions looked at by lesser experienced graders than 'Economy' (or Standard, or Express)? Or, does a submission goes to the next grader in the queue, regardless of the Grading Tier purchased?

Thanks in advance,

Art

On 2/27/2023 at 4:41 PM, awildhome said:

Hello,

I heard mentioned on a YouTube video (Future Past Vintage Collectibles, I believe) . . . who stated they will now only submit at the 'Economy' level at a minimum, even for Modern books, because they have more experienced graders..

Question: Are there different staff at the varying level of Grading Tier submission? In other words - are 'Modern Tier' submissions looked at by lesser experienced graders than 'Economy' (or Standard, or Express)? Or, does a submission goes to the next grader in the queue, regardless of the Grading Tier purchased?

Thanks in advance,

Art

Each tier can be graded by many of the same graders, but modern submissions would generally go to the modern graders and express submissions would usually be directed to the vintage graders.

So it depends on the circumstances and which graders are available on any given day... 

On 2/27/2023 at 4:55 PM, The Lions Den said:

Each tier can be graded by many of the same graders, but modern submissions would generally go to the modern graders and express submissions would usually be directed to the vintage graders.

So it depends on the circumstances and which graders are available on any given day... 

Sounds like a definite maybe. LOL. So . . . generally . . .  it is possible that books submitted as Express with values up to $3,000 could end up in the hands of those, who would normally be, Modern Tier graders? Umm, yikes. I am not submitting anything to Express anytime soon, but good to know. I was more considering the extra cost for Modern vs Economy. If Graders were of a more experienced staff - may be well worth the extra cost (and wait, or Fast-Track).

I do appreciate your help, as I am trying to learn the CGC 'ins and outs'. Thank You!

On 2/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, awildhome said:

Sounds like a definite maybe. LOL. So . . . generally . . .  it is possible that books submitted as Express with values up to $3,000 could end up in the hands of those, who would normally be, Modern Tier graders? Umm, yikes. I am not submitting anything to Express anytime soon, but good to know. I was more considering the extra cost for Modern vs Economy. If Graders were of a more experienced staff - may be well worth the extra cost (and wait, or Fast-Track).

I do appreciate your help, as I am trying to learn the CGC 'ins and outs'. Thank You!

Thank you!

Please bear in mind that CGC graders are trained to be versatile, and very often they'll "crossover" and grade different books if required. But generally speaking, Economy books receive the lowest level of consideration from the graders, partly because of value and turnaround time but usually because higher tier books are the priority. 

So, it really is a toss-up whether you would get more "experienced" graders by submitting through a different tier, unless you upgraded to Express or Walkthrough, which would be quite pricey...   

On 2/27/2023 at 6:05 PM, The Lions Den said:

Thank you!

Please bear in mind that CGC graders are trained to be versatile, and very often they'll "crossover" and grade different books if required. But generally speaking, Economy books receive the lowest level of consideration from the graders, partly because of value and turnaround time but usually because higher tier books are the priority. 

So, it really is a toss-up whether you would get more "experienced" graders by submitting through a different tier, unless you upgraded to Express or Walkthrough, which would be quite pricey...   

Makes sense. That would also probably explain why they instruct Express submissions to plaster "EX in large, bold letters" all over the box. LOL.

Thanks again.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, awildhome said:

Sounds like a definite maybe. LOL. So . . . generally . . .  it is possible that books submitted as Express with values up to $3,000 could end up in the hands of those, who would normally be, Modern Tier graders?

I would say that it's possible but unlikely...