• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coverless Detective 35 "ends in 6 hours"
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I was bidding on this on HiBid, but am at a point where I feel it's too risky to bid more $ without knowing if it's complete (One of HiBids failures is they don't give enough info, and when you ask questions they rarely answer)

So... I'm out.  But thought I'd post it here in case someone wants to jump in and take the risk.

This is Lot #119 which ends tonight for Imkahlng Auctions on HiBid

They don't even mention the Detective comics 35 in the title or show it in the 1st pic (which is why I thought I could snag it).  The 1st pic they show in the auction is a pic of the worthless "Little Max" comic.

The other coverless comics of note in this lot are:  More Fun 89, Mystery Men 31, & Fantastic Comics 15.

img.jpg

img-1.jpg

img-3.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/2/2023 at 2:48 PM, C. Spaulding said:

It’s all worth noting that they don’t offer shipping (according to the listing). Looks like they are located in WI.

YES! Horrible that they don't ship!  Although most HiBid auctions do ship.

I have a buddy that lives near the auction (within 2 hours) and he was going to pick it up for me if I won.

On 3/2/2023 at 3:31 PM, gadzukes said:

YES! Horrible that they don't ship!  Although most HiBid auctions do ship.

I have a buddy that lives near the auction (within 2 hours) and he was going to pick it up for me if I won.

I’ve bought on HiBid twice. In both cases I ended up talking to the auction houses who were shocked at how much the books went for (these weren’t huge books). This of course forced me to start the next line of questioning starting with ‘Have you ever shipped a comic before?’. :baiting:

In both cases the books arrived safely and they were packed “okay”.

Edited by C. Spaulding

On 3/2/2023 at 3:55 PM, C. Spaulding said:

I’ve bought on HiBid twice. In both cases I ended up talking to the auction houses who were shocked at how much the books went for (these weren’t huge books). This of course forced me to start the next line of questioning starting with ‘Have you ever shipped a comic before?’. :baiting:

In both cases the books arrived safely and they were packed “okay”.

I've messaged or talked to many of the HiBid auction houses too.  For the most part really nice people and I was able to get some to change their minds about shipping.  While I didn't talk to this one.... they had SO many rules in place including No Credit Cards or Paypal!  Cash or check only.

I knew my friend would drive there so I felt like I was in good shape to bid.

One more thing..... I've received comics from HiBid auctioneers just thrown into a mailer with no protection, so I've had to always make clear about packing.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:51 PM, gadzukes said:

It ended at $3800.  With the 15% buyers premium it takes it up to $4370.  Wow.... that's way too high.  I suspect it's not even complete.

Maybe the winner was able to inspect it beforehand?

I was going for the lot with Speed 18, but it hammered at $5300 with BP. No way could I go that high blind. Have to believe the winner saw it in person. 

On 3/2/2023 at 8:05 PM, october said:

Maybe the winner was able to inspect it beforehand?

I was going for the lot with Speed 18, but it hammered at $5300 with BP. No way could I go that high blind. Have to believe the winner saw it in person. 

That Speed 18 was sweet.  But yeah..... not knowing if the CF was out or coupons clipped.....  Gotta play it safer.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, gadzukes said:

That Speed 18 was sweet.  But yeah..... not knowing if the CF was out or coupons clipped.....  Gotta play it safer.

I'm actually pretty disappointed. Maybe the winner will flip it. :wishluck: :(

I bought on Hi-Bid one time. Never again. I think I won the lot for like $30, but by the time it was all said and done it cost me close to $70. The place where I could pick them up was only about 40 minutes from me, but their pickup times were like "2-2:45 pm on Thursdays and 1-1:30 on Fridays" or something along those lines. So I had to pay a buyer's premium, a credit card transaction fee and a huge amount of shipping. The 7 books were ultimately mailed to me in a manila envelope.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 3/2/2023 at 9:34 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I bought on Hi-Bid one time. Never again. I think I won the lot for like $30, but by the time it was all said and done it cost me close to $70. The place where I could pick them up was only about 40 minutes from me, but their pickup time were like "2-2:45 pm on Thursdays and 1-1:30 on Fridays" or something along those lines. So I had to pay a buyer's premium, a credit card transaction fee and a huge amount of shipping. The 7 books were ultimately shipped to me in a manila envelope.

It's hundreds of different auction houses.  You never know what you're going to get.  Some are super professional and pack really well and take plenty of pics, and others are rinky dink know-nothing auctioneers who just throw comics in an envelope.

I guess it's kind of the same with ebay.  We all have horror stories about packages we've received.

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/2/2023 at 8:34 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I bought on Hi-Bid one time. Never again. I think I won the lot for like $30, but by the time it was all said and done it cost me close to $70. The place where I could pick them up was only about 40 minutes from me, but their pickup times were like "2-2:45 pm on Thursdays and 1-1:30 on Fridays" or something along those lines. So I had to pay a buyer's premium, a credit card transaction fee and a huge amount of shipping. The 7 books were ultimately mailed to me in a manila envelope.

I won several auctions from Wisconsin few years before COVID-19 pandemic. Hi-Bid twice and few times with Proxibid. I trust very few auctioneers via Proxibid but one is the worst of all was Las Vegas Liquidations. Overcharged shipping included insurance. He insisted all books are sold as is and he snarled to everyone who complained about the condition. I avoided him at all costs but I grabbed Bone #1 CGC 7.5 at very low price. Most auctioneers were nice and fair before the pandemic but after that, they aren't nice and fair anymore. GA and SA books are now scarce everything even my trust auctioneers do not have any cool books anymore. Any rare books show up on either Proxibid or Hi-Bid, the bids are unnecessary excessive bids. I don't often visit both websites as I used to be. 

On 3/2/2023 at 8:38 PM, gadzukes said:

It's hundreds of different auction houses.  You never know what you're going to get.  Some are super professional and pack really well and take plenty of pics, and others are rinky dink know-nothing auctioneers who just through comics in an envelope.

I guess it's kind of the same with ebay.  We all have horror stories about packages we've received.

I never had experienced but one time, the envelope was mangled but the books SURVIVED!

On 3/2/2023 at 7:51 PM, gadzukes said:

It ended at $3800.  With the 15% buyers premium it takes it up to $4370.  Wow.... that's way too high.  I suspect it's not even complete.

I would've walked away from that one too if I were bidding.

From the tabcom collection:

6293EA2E-94F6-42EE-9838-9599F4BE0167.thumb.jpeg.8afdb57b42f4fcc54ce71013e4f832d5.jpeg