• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in, signed by Bob Layton: Charlton Portfolio 9/10
2 2

18 posts in this topic

From my new/old hobby of picking up benchmark creators from before they had mainstream success. I'm sure there must be something that pre-dates this, but it's the earliest published pro/amateur art by Bob Layton (cover inks).that I can find. Perhaps more notable for an unpublished Ditko Blue Beetle story

PXL_20230302_162038990.jpg

PXL_20230302_162049983.jpg

PXL_20230302_162145376.jpg

PXL_20230302_162203729.jpg

PXL_20230302_162603221.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 3/2/2023 at 12:53 PM, scburdet said:

From my new/old hobby of picking up benchmark creators from before they had mainstream success. I'm sure there must be something that pre-dates this, but it's the earliest published pro/amateur art by Bob Layton (cover inks).that I can find. Perhaps more notable for an unpublished Ditko Blue Beetle story

This is the earliest semi-pro piece Layton did. This is technically a double issue (#9 and #10) of Contemporary Pictorial Literature, a fanzine produced by Layton and Roger Stern. This issue is "semi-pro" because it was actually produced with permission from Charlton (which is why that Ditko piece is there) as something a test to see whether Layton and Stern would be suitable for creating a more official house publication/fanzine hybrid (it was, and that later work is the five issues of Charlton Bullseye).

But Contemporary Pictorial Literature existed as a self-published fanzine before this issue (and after it, up to #12). The first couple of issues are, apparently, more or less just Layton's catalogue (he was a mail-order comic dealer for a bit) with a bit of his line art for flavor, although it gradually became a pretty impressive collection of talent. I don't think I've ever seen a copy of any issue before... oh, #6 or so. They're all quite scarce.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:30 PM, Qalyar said:

I don't think I've ever seen a copy of any issue before... oh, #6 or so. They're all quite scarce

Basically jives with all I've found. MCS mentions a lot of Byrne story & art in early CPL issues, but not Layton art. Obviously, it was his publication so there could be something in 1-8, but I haven't even seen so much as a blog post with someone showing images of those issue. They must have been around at some point if MCS has them listed. I can't imagine making the inventory entry if there was never anything to sell (shrug)

Felt pretty fortunate that there was even a copy this nice out in the wild for sale. There are others, but a lot look—to be charitable—pretty crappy.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, scburdet said:

Basically jives with all I've found. MCS mentions a lot of Byrne story & art in early CPL issues, but not Layton art. Obviously, it was his publication so there could be something in 1-8, but I haven't even seen so much as a blog post with someone showing images of those issue. They must have been around at some point if MCS has them listed. I can't imagine making the inventory entry if there was never anything to sell (shrug)

Felt pretty fortunate that there was even a copy this nice out in the wild for sale. There are others, but a lot look—to be charitable—pretty crappy.

I had a friend chase some of these for the early Byrne work. CPL 7 is technically the first time Byrne's ROG-2000 appears, but merely as an unnamed character in a panel image. CPL 11 was supposed to be the first actual story appearance of the character, but the CPL Gang had some production delays, so the back-up feature in E-Man #6 (Charlton) actually appeared first (although it literally follows after the one in CPL 11 in continuity).

I was able to find cover images back to 5. Before that, I think it was less fanzine and more just "Layton's store catalog". Note that MCS attributes CPL 6 with a Neal Adams cover, but that appears to be in error. Adams did the cover for #5. I believe the cover artist on #6 is Joe Sinnott.

CPL 5 Comic ArtCPL 6 Comic ArtCPL 7 Comic ArtCPL 8 Comic Art

CPL 11 Comic ArtCPL 12 Comic Art

Regardless, yours is a fantastic copy (I'd go 9.2 here) of 9/10, and one of the best copies I've ever seen from the series at all.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:05 PM, Qalyar said:

fantastic copy (I'd go 9.2 here)

Thanks. I re-checked too. There was a sold issue 8 on ebay within the last few months. I saw it earlier and then forgot. It has a Punisher story, which now I will have to find of that part of my collection :grin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255951903117

Off to Layton's in-house signing at CGC. Still only 2 universal 8.5s on the census. Another one that should be neat regardless. I also emailed Bob to ask if this was his first professional work. I wasn't expecting an answer from him or Milgrom, but Bob wrote me back faster than people I work with respond to emails. Apparently, he doesn't consider this his first professional work b/c it wasn't paid work. A lot more ambiguity that I expected. I figured most creators would have something they considered their first work in comics.

toy story claw machine GIF

On 6/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, Newbike said:

I have this issue as well. Bought it for the Ditko story - genius! Just took it out and thinking about getting it graded as well. Have you sent it out yet?

Incoming in 3...2...

I'm taking photos of my window-bagged books now b/c I thought I put this one in front cover up. I did put a note on the bag indicating they could remove the book & sign on either side since it's a wraparound cover. Plus, I had emailed Bob ahead of time to as him a question about this book & he said he hadn't seen one in years. Figured he deserved a chance to look it over if he wanted. Super happy to have not only the only Signature Series copy of this on the census, but also beat out the existing Universal copies.

CPL-9-10.jpg

CPL-9-10rev.jpg

CPL-9-10sig.jpg