• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Story about Neal Adams OA

10 posts in this topic

I know this is hard to believe, but true story! I just got back from my LCS where i hang on Saturday afternoons and i heard quite the story....the owner used to work for another store as a kid (which happens to be the oldest running CS in Canada). Anyway, he's always been a Neal Adams nut and he was telling me how some guy walked into the store about 20 years ago with the OA COVER to Batman #232.... 893whatthe.gifhe wanted $200 for it at the time (may as well have been $200,000 at that age)....they passed as he could not afford it and they argued that it was too much....i think the store owner argued that only Barry Windsor Smith OA cover art should fetch that much!! foreheadslap.gif

He also told me how he passed a TO Con. dealer who had 20, yes 20 pages of Neal Adams OA at $50 a page....passed on that too! Cover to GL 79 was in there..

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I bought my first page of Neal Adams art around 1985 for $40.00. It was a war page with the gorgeous pencil shading that Adams used in his early days at DC.

Stupidly, I sold it a few years later for $100. I still have three Crusty Bunkers pages with obvious Adams inks over Gil Kane pencils, but I regret not having a real Adams page.

I had all four pages of Adams art from Brave and the Bold 94, two pages of Adams art from a Creepy issue, seven or eight Byrne X-Men pages (including the last page to 126 and the splash to 127), several Byrne covers (including Marvel Team Up 69) and a bunch of Perez pages. All gone.

In the mid-1980s, I bought the cover to SUPERMAN # 235 from Russ Cochran for $75 (after it failed to sell in one of his Art Auctions at $125 minimum bid).

Several years later, I sold the cover (to a fellow UK collector) for the American equivalent of around $550 - to help fund another purchase. foreheadslap.gif

I ended-up regretting parting with the SUPERMAN cover but, thankfully, bought another Adams cover earlier this year that I actually like a lot more. smile.gif

Interestingly, my old SUPERMAN cover is now on Mike Burkey's Web Site . . .

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

In the mid-1980s, I bought the cover to SUPERMAN # 235 from Russ Cochran for $75 (after it failed to sell in one of his Art Auctions at $125 minimum bid).

Several years later, I sold the cover (to a fellow UK collector) for the American equivalent of around $550 - to help fund another purchase. foreheadslap.gif

I ended-up regretting parting with the SUPERMAN cover but, thankfully, bought another Adams cover earlier this year that I actually like a lot more. smile.gif

Interestingly, my old SUPERMAN cover is now on Mike Burkey's Web Site . . .

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Here's a scan of my old SUPEs cover . . .

i5u07a.jpg

And here's a scan of its replacement in my collection . . .

i5u2kj.jpg

Of the two, the former's the more famous . . . but the latter's image is more appealing to me.