• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spotting a Fake Slab?!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if people experience fraud with graded comic book slabs. I have been receiving slabs that are very flimsy and can be easily opened. The label appears to be completely different from what I have seen.  In the 2 photos I included, the amazing spiderman is the slab in question of being a fake. Sensational She Hulk is authentic as I had it shipped from CGC. The amazing spiderman was bought through Ebay

The sellers argument was to put the code into the CGC system and see if it exists. I'm thinking these codes could just be copied as well and does not offer me any comfort in determining the authenticity. 

Can anyone confirm if these types of slabs exist through CGC? 

I have only been around CGC slabs for a year and a half. I'm not sure if CGC was issuing these kind of slabs at some point. They are awful and look terrible. Hoping someone can advise. 

Thanks in advance.

- Ron

Pic 1 Goblin Fake.jpg

Pic 2 Goblin Fake.jpg

I would say, historically speaking there hasn't been much to worry about.  Cracked slabs were fairly obvious. Meaning, you could see a break or something in the slab. 

There was a recent incident where a scammer was cracking slabs and putting fake books inside, with fake labels. 

These books could have been identified, but given the relative security of buying CGC slabs, I can appreciate why the buyers were caught off guard.  

A few things that could have helped. 

1) inspect the slab. In this situation, the scammer used real slabs he carefully cracked open. Despite being careful, you could still tell the slab had been cracked and put back together. 

2) inspect the label. The scammer had left slight differences in the font and spacing.  

3) look up the certification number.... In this situation, the scammer took real certification numbers, so if you looked it up. It would have appeared legit. Still, always good practice. 

I guess the last thing would be to follow your insticts and buy from trusted buyers. 

I have no reason to believe your books are fake, but I figured I would share since we've recently seen fakes. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 3/6/2023 at 8:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC has had a few different variations of slabs. The ASM label looks legit.

Was the lite grayish ink in the ASM grade numbers proper for certain years, as well as the fonts on the case side?

Edited by zephyr424