• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth it?

6 posts in this topic

Hello! Long time collector, first time member and submitter. I have been looking at getting some of my comics graded, but am a little hesitant. While I understand the importance for future sells-I'm still unsure if the price is worth it. Any advice? I am asking because I recently noticed that my Something is Killing the Children has skyrocketed. I have every one of the books from the 2019 #1 first print of the series to the last one (28). I bought them, came home and bagged them, stored them, and never touched them again. These things have literally never been opened nor has a single finger ever touched a single page in any of the 28 books (I have been busy). Is it going to be worth the time it takes for turn around and the price to grade them?

Look at gpa analysis for realizeable prices 

then do your own math to calculate possible revenues factoring shipping and submission costs

and apply your own profit preferences to decide if it’s worth it for you

On 3/7/2023 at 6:14 PM, LGillum said:

Hello! Long time collector, first time member and submitter. I have been looking at getting some of my comics graded, but am a little hesitant. While I understand the importance for future sells-I'm still unsure if the price is worth it. Any advice? I am asking because I recently noticed that my Something is Killing the Children has skyrocketed. I have every one of the books from the 2019 #1 first print of the series to the last one (28). I bought them, came home and bagged them, stored them, and never touched them again. These things have literally never been opened nor has a single finger ever touched a single page in any of the 28 books (I have been busy). Is it going to be worth the time it takes for turn around and the price to grade them?

Gonna be brutally honest, between the absurd turnaround times, and the absence of any quality control, no, it's not worth submitting.  There are good reasons to submit books, but the number of cases in which I would submit a book have dwindled dramatically in the last 2+ years.  CGC has great customer service, but you'd rather not have to refer to customer service in the first place.  Go to the Comics General part of the forums and go through Quality the Control thread to get an idea of the brain numbingly stupid things that have been returned to customers lately.  It really brings into doubt the quality of service that they used to have.

My only word of caution is, just because a book went from the shelf to a bag / board doesn't necessarily mean it's a NM+ copy. 

You may want to utilize the spare a grade section to see if they would fall into the 9.6 / 9.8 range. 

if you feel pretty certain it's a 9.6+, then use GPA or eBay sold prices to determine the ROI on grading costs vs raw. 

As others mentioned, there is risk with sending a book to be graded.  It's something to consider before submitting. 

Thank you, guys. Looking at the market, they’re still going for quite a bit ungraded. I appreciate the advice. I have SO many valuable ones from the 90’s to now and have always thought about it, but never pulled the trigger just because I was worried about them being damaged in shipping or in the process and losing all value in them.

Edited by LGillum