• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding grading received

6 posts in this topic

I received my first shipment back and a few of the comics were graded a 9.6. I was wondering if there is somewhere I can view the reasoning behind the lower grade than expected, like comments or something from whomever reviewed the comic and gave it a lower grade. I wasn't expecting 10's on all 6 I submitted as I know each had minor defects on the outer cover bottom corners, however I didn't think the 3 9.6's would have been graded as such. Again, seeing if there is somewhere I can review why it received such grade? Thanks! 

On 3/8/2023 at 2:28 PM, IceDragon13 said:

I received my first shipment back and a few of the comics were graded a 9.6. I was wondering if there is somewhere I can view the reasoning behind the lower grade than expected, like comments or something from whomever reviewed the comic and gave it a lower grade. I wasn't expecting 10's on all 6 I submitted as I know each had minor defects on the outer cover bottom corners, however I didn't think the 3 9.6's would have been graded as such. Again, seeing if there is somewhere I can review why it received such grade? Thanks! 

Grader's Notes are sometimes provided for your submission. If they are available, you should see them when you click the submission in question in your My Submissions > Submission Tracking portion of your account (see blue circle below):
cgc1.thumb.PNG.c6f8cb8c20ea7e6436fac5d9d62a10ab.PNG
If they are not provided, then there is nothing for you to reference. If you are certain they deserve more than a 9.6, crack them out and resend them. Though it sounds like you are acknowledging there was a minor defect present on these, so a 9.6 would not be surprising.

Thanks! I guess that is normal then, it just seems so minor that I wouldn't have expected such a lower grade when the 9.8's had a similar thing in the corner, all about a pen tip size. Checked and don't see any links for 'Grader Notes' so I imagine nothing was noted. Thanks again. First time receiving back and was curious as to how something is considered better than another one I guess. 

For consideration, many 9.6 books and 9.8 books can get the same grade or vice versa depending on the grader. 

And if trying to find why, comes down to edges, corner sharpness and how it looks around the staple (usually). Also the possibility of something very minor inside the book that kept it back (a minor bend on a page corner for example)