• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Bolt 115.
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I've wanted a nice copy of this forever, but the bug chew on the back cover scared me. A beauty otherwise. What would you grade this as- it sold for almost $4000.  Good buy?  There maybe slight slight rust on the staples too.  

BlueBoltWeird 115 fc angle.jpeg

BlueBoltWeird 115 bc.jpeg

BlueBoltWeird 115 ibc.jpeg

BlueBoltWeird 115 ifc.jpeg

BlueBoltWeird 115 det1.jpeg

BlueBoltWeird 115 fc.jpeg

Thankfully that bug chew is on the BC. I've never seen this book before but that is some cool artwork and the colors look great. Looks like a 4.5-5.0 to me, but it presents much nicer as we like to say😁

Edited by Mars76

On 3/8/2023 at 4:53 PM, Mars76 said:

Thankfully that bug chew is on the BC. I've never seen this book before but that is some cool artwork and the colors look great. Looks like a 4.5-5.0 to me, but it presents much nicer like we like to say😁

That's LB Cole on the cover art- check him out!  All time classic golden age.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:28 AM, scburdet said:

latter is hard to assess in photos

Piece missing is consistent with a 5.0 ceiling. Maybe 5.5 since it's the back cover. It will matter if they ding the stain too, or just go with that defect being consistent with accumulation at 5.0

On 3/9/2023 at 8:11 AM, scburdet said:

Piece missing is consistent with a 5.0 ceiling. Maybe 5.5 since it's the back cover. It will matter if they ding the stain too, or just go with that defect being consistent with accumulation at 5.0

If the stain you're referring to is the discoloration at top of spine back cover, that's actually more paper missing from bug chew... which probably doesn't help?

Ah, OK. The way CGC handles defects is to start with the one that is the most severe and sort of works backwards more or less. There's even a little grid of what defects are allowable at certain grades and relative impact in their new book. Like if the cover is detached, you start at a 3.0* so a normal amount of handling wear doesn't further reduce the grade (*unless it's an otherwise perfect book & gets a Qualified grade). It's still a little bit of a black box, but stains and missing pieces are two of the most impactful defects & both based on area. Could be as low as a 3.0-5.0 is sort of the range for where a 1"×1" piece would be closer to 3.0. Of course, it being the back cover helps b/c the aesthetic are not impacted as much. IMO anything less than a 4.0 would be a miscarriage of justice.