• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Made A Huge Mistake : Instant Regret of Sales, Trades or Buys You've Made
2 2

93 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2023 at 10:55 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I've talked about this piece here on the boards ad nauseam - but I had instant regret even before I sold it, as I had it on auction:

1584487920_RedSonjaGonzaloMayoFramed.thumb.jpeg.3f9cf55c2cfebc86554d29fc3bd691e7.jpeg

Everything that wasn't nailed down was being sold to fund our restaurant (comics, comic art, etc) and this was the one piece I knew I didn't want to part with. I went back-and-forth with the idea of cancelling the ComicLink auction for it, but I had to be responsible to our business endeavor. In the grand scheme of things, I told myself that the sacrifice would be worth it (it was) and once it sold, I was bummed out immediately.

As luck and perseverance would have it, I managed to buy it back 7 years later at 4X what I sold it for. :cry: But, I have no regret for paying that, it's worth every penny to me.

I sold off a lot of art at the time (Bronze age Ms. Marvel action pages, John Buscema 6-panel Thor pages - with action, no less! - from #210 for $500 each and a (newer 2000 era) Frank Brunner Red Sonja cover for $1000 :() that have gone up to 5-10X that now. Would I have still had them? Probably - I loved my comic art and knew that OA is a long-term asset rather than something you flip. But no regrets on anything I sold except for this Gonzalo Mayo Red Sonja piece, and thanks to the way things have turned out, I was able to buy it back.

Selling stuff for a good reason like you did, will never be a bad decision. 

I bought too many short boxes from a guy...made the bad decision to recoup some of my money. Sold a full short box of mint AMS #150 and up...(not even sure what was in box, I was overwhelmed) for $75 on market place. Guy wanted to meet at local gas station, he couldn't get his money out fast enough and leave. My regret to this day...all good though, it made me slow down and check my boxes on future purchases.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Although I got well over what the book was valued at when I sold it, this is likely the book I most regret selling. Sigh. 

BR7Slabbed.jpg

This might sound kind of noobish but why did a book labeled with color touch get a blue label?

On 3/11/2023 at 1:24 PM, Robot Man said:

hm  Humm… that’s cutting off your nose to spite your face…:roflmao:

irrational, it makes zero sense but that's how upset and frustrated i was at that moment

On 3/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:
On 3/11/2023 at 3:31 PM, apocalypse76 said:

This might sound kind of noobish but why did a book labeled with color touch get a blue label?

CGC leniency toward GA books? Some vets will have a better answer than that.

CGC notates color touch, glue, etc on blue labels before a certain year (which I am forgetting).  I think it had to do with Church book submitters complaining and about getting purple labels back. 

Selling my X-men 1. I bought it here on the boards in April of 2012. Took me 4 months to pay it off. When it arrived there was marvel chipping by Marvel Girls hand I didn’t notice in the picture. That little piece of marvel chipping was driving me crazy. By October I put it in a box and sent it to Comiclink. Now everytime I look at it I realize how dumb I was.

AE55092F-B8EC-42F7-8F81-E7854C954D7E.png

On 3/11/2023 at 9:05 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That’s one I’m never getting back :insane:

Although the odds are slim, the chances you finding a high grade 180 in the wild are a little better than me finding a high grade Blue Ribbon 7. I always wondered whether that BR7 cover was the first to feature a reference to what the Nazis were doing.

Buying a raw VF/NM Avengers 1, and a NM- Avengers 1 from Danny Dupcak, then subsequently finding these boards and learning who Dupcak was while they were still in transit to me. I did send them to CGC and they both came back restored.

Dupcak did refund me my money, but I was out grading and customs fees which were substantial. Ironically, if I held onto them in their purple labels (graded 8.0 and 9.0 respectively) I would've made money eventually, but this was way before we even had a hint that the MCU was coming. It would've made no sense in 2002 to keep those books.

So it's a double regret I guess; buyer's remorse right after, then later, a bit of regret for not keeping them long term.

I also found these boards because of that purchase, which is a good thing on some days and a regret on others, depending on my mood or what thread I'm inflicting on myself.

Edited by COI

Also, like most of you, I sold many books between 2006-2012 that have blown up since, but I remind myself that some of you remember buying SA and BA keys at cover price. At least I've been spared that.

Still miss my 9.4 ASM 14 though. 

Edited by COI

On 3/12/2023 at 4:08 AM, jayhawker said:

Selling my X-men 1. I bought it here on the boards in April of 2012. Took me 4 months to pay it off. When it arrived there was marvel chipping by Marvel Girls hand I didn’t notice in the picture. That little piece of marvel chipping was driving me crazy. By October I put it in a box and sent it to Comiclink. Now everytime I look at it I realize how dumb I was.

AE55092F-B8EC-42F7-8F81-E7854C954D7E.png

That chipping/tear would bother me also.

On 3/11/2023 at 6:13 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Although the odds are slim, the chances you finding a high grade 180 in the wild are a little better than me finding a high grade Blue Ribbon 7. I always wondered whether that BR7 cover was the first to feature a reference to what the Nazis were doing.

Yeah, try even finding a Blue Ribbon 7 in even low grade…

On 3/11/2023 at 10:32 PM, COI said:

Buying a raw VF/NM Avengers 1, and a NM- Avengers 1 from Danny Dupcak, then subsequently finding these boards and learning who Dupcak was while they were still in transit to me. I did send them to CGC and they both came back restored.

Dupcak did refund me my money, but I was out grading and customs fees which were substantial. Ironically, if I held onto them in their purple labels (graded 8.0 and 9.0 respectively) I would've made money eventually, but this was way before we even had a hint that the MCU was coming. It would've made no sense in 2002 to keep those books.

So it's a double regret I guess; buyer's remorse right after, then later, a bit of regret for not keeping them long term.

I also found these boards because of that purchase, which is a good thing on some days and a regret on others, depending on my mood or what thread I'm inflicting on myself.

Patience grasshopper…

It has been my experience that the longer you hold a decent book, the more you will eventually laugh at the price you paid.