• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Comic Reader 143
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Board member & fellow Comic Reader enthusiast @THE_BEYONDER asked about this one, so I figured why not put it up. Unfortunately, I plan to keep it b/c I like the John Byrne take on Hembeck's Don Martin's style, and Power Man & Iron Fist are on my list of characters I collect. Actually, one of the nicer ones I own. No mailing label & no one marked up the checklist.

PXL_20230313_012623113.jpg

PXL_20230313_012634557.jpg

PXL_20230313_012701569.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 3/12/2023 at 11:03 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

stain to the right of Things

there's a little discoloration, nothing on the other side of the paper so (shrug) 

I don't have extensive experience with these, but a lot of the copies I have have imperfections that are hard to ID. I'm assuming these were mass produced with minimal quality control. Very cool/too bad about the OA. I've never been an OA collector, although I would take the original cover are off Avengers 158. I assume that would be beyond cost prohibitive, even if someone put it up for sale, since it's Kirby doing a core title cover. I just love it though.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:13 PM, scburdet said:

there's a little discoloration, nothing on the other side of the paper so (shrug) 

I don't have extensive experience with these, but a lot of the copies I have have imperfections that are hard to ID. I'm assuming these were mass produced with minimal quality control. Very cool/too bad about the OA. I've never been an OA collector, although I would take the original cover are off Avengers 158. I assume that would be beyond cost prohibitive, even if someone put it up for sale, since it's Kirby doing a core title cover. I just love it though.

Avengers 158.  Wonder man vs Vision?  Loved that book. Still have my childhood copy somewhere. 

I think you’ve got a 9.4 here with the 143

As said, these are tough to grade.  Without gloss, it’s really tough to identify wear. Especially...as you said...the production quality is spotty at times.

Keep them coming.  :popcorn:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER