• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mad magazine grading question

7 posts in this topic

A full-length subscription crease would put it at about a 4.5, but then subscription creases usually affect the whole book and not just the back cover.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Without seeing any pictures, I'll guess FN range.

Agreed.  I've seen nice looking books in slabs that have the all too common fold on the back cover of Mad mags graded 6.0 and even 6.5.  For me, it depends on how strong the crease is.  If it's completely flattened and color broken the entire length of the book, it'll get hammered more than if it's present but not that noticeable.  If it's a hard crease, probably 5.5.  @The Lions Den would have a better sense of an otherwise VF or better book with a crease on the back cover.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:06 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed.  I've seen nice looking books in slabs that have the all too common fold on the back cover of Mad mags graded 6.0 and even 6.5.  For me, it depends on how strong the crease is.  If it's completely flattened and color broken the entire length of the book, it'll get hammered more than if it's present but not that noticeable.  If it's a hard crease, probably 5.5.  @The Lions Den would have a better sense of an otherwise VF or better book with a crease on the back cover.

My apologies to Al Jaffee...  :cry:

On 3/13/2023 at 9:06 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I think you've hit the nail on the proverbial head...  (thumbsu