• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8 grades notes
2 2

28 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2023 at 11:56 PM, Lightning55 said:

The key is how you define "slight imperfection".

I think the key is more how you are defining "damage."

No one is arguing that color-breaking creases should be allowed in a 9.8--but you're calling some imperfections "damage" and not including other imperfections (like "very light spine stress lines") that you do feel are acceptable in a 9.8.

While you see those copies as undamaged, and state that you don't want a damaged 9.8, I'm saying that even 9.8s with those tiny imperfections are also technically "damaged," and only a 10.0 would be completely undamaged.

So it's our respective definitions of "damage" that are causing the disagreement.  It's not vitally important to me that everyone accept my definition; just that under my definition of damage, only a 10.0 would be completely undamaged.

On 4/11/2023 at 12:41 PM, Axe Elf said:

While you see those copies as undamaged, and state that you don't want a damaged 9.8, I'm saying that even 9.8s with those tiny imperfections are also technically "damaged," and only a 10.0 would be completely undamaged.

I generally start at 10.0 and work my way down the grading scale---I never start at the low end. The more flaws I discover, the farther down the scale I go. 

With that said, a 9.8 should still be a pretty darn nice book...  

The thing I am stressing is that color breaks of any kind should not be on a 9.8 comic, or above, of course.  But CGC apparently thinks they're ok, judging by the notes.

I don't have to define "damage", or "slight imperfection" vs. moderate vs. heavy, not my job.  Color breaks - that's the thing I am pointing out.  Shouldn't be there on a 9.8.

If someone is fine with color breaks on a 9.8, then by all means, they should go for it.  But it will likely be a tough sell if they decide to move it along.

Since I wrote the "very light spine stress lines" as a paraphrased comment for 9.8 I wanted to get it exactly right as I thought maybe the "lines" word wasn't there.  It is there.

I looked closely at the book and missed it on a first pass.  On the second pass, I found one stress line in the middle of the spine covering both front and back that measures about 1/16" of an inch (on one side).  It IS allowed in a 9.8 according to the CGC grading book.

Verify CGC Certification | CGC (cgccomics.com)

Also, check out this 9.8.  How many spine ticks do you count?

asm12498withticks.thumb.jpg.12f6f7537669a4836a4948edf6f69985.jpg

On 3/28/2023 at 3:58 PM, JRTownsend said:

What I really hate is no notes on lower grades. In the 80s I bought a lot of comics, bagged and boarded them and never read them. Never touched them until recently sending them off and for example I got a 9.2 on one recently. The comic had never even been opened to look at until the grader did. How on earth is it a 9.2? I admit I am not a grader but I have been in the comic book collecting for about 40 years. I've sent other similar books off and gotten 9.8s. Why can't they explain what they see that drops a book several grades? I personally saw nothing and thats why I picked it to send off, pages where white, corners crisp, nothing missing, no creases of any kind, not misaligned, not rolled, not bent, not dirty, nothing. Is that why there are no notes? They don't see anything either?

I've sent off I think about 25 to 30 books. None have notes. Ranging from 9.2 to 9.8. 

I am having this same exact concern and frustration now. I'm starting to feel like some of the grades are very off the cuff and not based on any noticeable defects. With no notes, how do you know?

Are there any topics covering defects for 9.2 vs 9.4 vs 9.6 vs 9.8 so I can make better judgement in the future on what to send in?