• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Hulk Trailer

76 posts in this topic

I think anyone's enjoyment of the movie will depend on their suspension of disbelief at the CGI effects. It looks pretty cartoony and unrealistic to me, but some people may like that, kind of like a Bad-Azz Shrek.

I think anyone's enjoyment of the movie will depend on their suspension of disbelief at the CGI effects.

Really? I would think one's enjoyment of the movie will depend on whether or not it's a good movie! smile.gif

Anyhow, glad to hear your opinion of the movie upfront - this way you won't have to create another shill posting account to hide behind when criticizing the actual movie. After all, isn't that who you told people on this board you were Joe, a "movie buff", and not CI? Fool me once ( tinkerer ), shame on me...

I'd love to, but you still haven't sent me all those great Hulk-related X-mas gifts you were going to get me??? Oops...that was one of your other alter-egos that started all those great threads about "What to get Dr. Banner for X-mas". tongue.gif

I have to admit, I'm very uncomfortable with even the few fleeting shots they've released of the CG Hulk in action. He always looks too light for his environment - like they never quite got the physics right - and his movements look like they're pulled from a very nice but undeniably fake video game rather than reality. I keep hoping these are rough, but at this late stage, they're probably close to what they'll be in the finished film, and they just don't look like they made it all the way.

Perhaps WETA should have been drafted?

I just watched the trailer and think it looks great!! From what I saw, the CGI Hulk is quite amazing and is certainly convincing enough for me to accept in a movie. If we try and consider for one moment that this has all been created digitally and there really is no "actual Hulk" we can [!@#%^&^] off and film we might not expect perfection in the CGI and try to enjoy the film.

I think sometimes we can get ultra-critical because we are spoiled into expecting perfection in film. Imagine this level of CGI back 20 years, people would be calling for an oscar! CGI perfection, in terms of totally fooling us, is down the road. Now, its not 100% convincing that its a living being...BUT it's damn close IMHO and 90% is something I can certainly live with.

One thing to consider is comic collectors are used to, and are quite good at suspending reality enough to enjoy a comic. so why not a movie? I'm betting that moviegoers (that are not comic readers) but see this movie can get over the fact that this digital creature may not be 100% convincing as a living being.

Even with the Spidey and X-men movies MOST enjoyed ... there were instances (some even with live characters) in which we had to relax our expectation or suspend reality. Wolverine should be moving 3-5X as fast as he does... a blur of movement and slashing. At the speed he (and Sabretooth) are moving, they are sitting ducks, no big threat and would be easy to eliminate by other super-types. Cyclops or Storm could take them both out in no time. They appear to move no faster than a normal man. They were more athletic, but not fast enough to convince me that they could survive long. It seems most, including myself, forgave this enough to enjoy the film. Spidey too... did the Green Goblin look and move much better than the Hulk?

Anyway, if the clips I saw were indicative of the quality of the CGI throughout the movie (and not the best of what they have) I think this movie will kick arse at the box and Hulk 2 will be eagerly anticipated.

I'm hoping for a Wolvie vs. Hulk encounter at some point... of course, at that point, how slow Wolverine is currently will make that match up problematic. smirk.gif

My feeling is that the Hulk is gonna have a tough time at the box office, outside of the initial week, where ad-dollar fueled hype will bring them in.

I showed the clip to a bunch of "average, non-comic reading moviegoers of varying ages" and not one was impressed. All the women rolled their eyes and laughed, the younger guys snorted and walked away, and only the middle-age guys had any interest all, likely owing to their childhood reading of the comics.

I've also heard again and again, that the general public does not like CGI characters, unless they're used sparsely, it involves a non-core character, or the entire movie is CGI and fantasy-based.

I also watched in interesting program on the subject and it was very interesting how people's opinons changed when a CGI human or creature was used in a movie. Our eyes can see the differences quite clearly, and we somehow feel ripped off to have paid money for this.

They also compared it to flicks like The Matrix, which made heavy use of Special FX, but still featured human characters, and used the actual stars for most stunts. It was a totally different view, and many stated how realistic it all looked.

Or in the immortal words of some guy: The reason Toy Story was so successful is because we have no visual idea or memory of how Toys move.

Once again your negativity gets the best of you. Let's put a wager on the forum right now about the Hulk box office. What do you think it's going to do? How "bad" do you think it'll do?

I thought the trailer rocked and WHO CARES if the Hulk looks a bit CGI!!! It's a freakin movie for cryin out loud. Just the fact that a big budget Hulk movie where he destroys half a city should get you excited if you're a comic book fan. This is an amazing time for all comic book fans and all you can do is [!@#%^&^] on the CGI? You should be ashamed that you even collect comics shocked.gif

Take your money, go to the Hulk movie, sit back and totally enjoy the experiece of watching "HULK SMASH".

We don't need your stinkin negativity smile.gif

I would never, ever predict a box office take, since it is highly influenced by the ad budget. If someone is willing to spend $40-$50 million to advertise, it's a given that it'll hit 100 million in a week or two. Even the horrific Daredevil limped to 100 million, though nowhere near as fast as the studios hoped.

Now,onto the real subject at hand:

If you want to be a slavering fanboy and think that "any Hulk movie is better than none" and that we should be "excited" to even see the Hulk on screen, then feel free to do so.

If I feel the Hulk looks like a steroid-pumped version of Shrek, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it not matter how many pandering fanboys tell me not to.

Now go play with your Jar Jar doll.

I think JR brought that up too in comparison to how accepted the Jurassic Park Dinos were due to the fact no one has a visual notion of how they moved. Since I fall into the 30-something demographic and love comics, maybe I'm more accepting than the younger generation. My kids are not old enough to give me useful feedback, but I still can't see how it will not kick arse based on what I saw. If the younger crowd can dismiss this movie based on the CGI not being perfect, they are sure a tough crowd to please.

When you showed the clip to the youngsters, were they aware of your feelings or were you able to display it with no hint that you were not impressed? I'd like to hear a sampling of opinions from moviegoers that see the new clip at the theater. If all the kids are having a similar reaction, then I must be out of touch with what they will accept. I don't play digital games much, but I have seen some, and those graphics are less impressive in comparison, (although incredible compared to what I was used to) and the kids accepted them. Maybe the acceptance level is different if it is interactive?

I'm excited to see it regardless if the kids decide to see Scream 5 instead.

>>When you showed the clip to the youngsters, were they aware of your feelings or were you able to display it with no hint that you were not impressed?

These weren't children, but 18-22 or so (think office demographics).

And no, I just pumped the clip out and watched their faces, no hint of bias either way. I am honestly interested in other people's opinions (OUTSIDE our inbred little world) and to see if I was being too harsh about my dislike of the CGI.

Apparently not, especially compared to the gals, who hated it.

I'll tell you something else, both Hulk and X2 better watch out, as all I'm hearing (even during the clip preview) was how Matrix Reloaded is gonna rock. Men, women, dogs, everybody is pumped about this movie.

I showed the clip to a bunch of "average, non-comic reading moviegoers of varying ages" and not one was impressed. All the women rolled their eyes and laughed, the younger guys snorted and walked away, and only the middle-age guys had any interest all, likely owing to their childhood reading of the comics.

Wow CI - you were able to get a broad-based, demographically diverse review of this clip by a "bunch" of people in the last 3 hours, on a tuesday morning, and no one liked it, just like you? What a great coincidence - sounds like "The Others" (CI's friends, relatives, co-workers, comic book collecting co-horts, dealers, CGC-buyers, and "others" that always support CI's POV yet never post here, haven't dealt with anyone here, no one knows who they are, etc.,.) have returned!

I do believe that the CGI we see here is what will be seen in the final film, although the record will show that this is the "international" trailer, and not the US version. I think the official/final US version will be released shortly.

In any event, yes, the Hulk doesn't look like he's measuring up to the quality of Gollum, which is certainly a little disappointing, but I thought the trailer was way cool. I understand the Gollum was created from the mechanical movements of a same-sized real person (with CGI skin overlay), whereas the Hulk was created by extrapolating the features of Eric Bana (for the face), but the rest was done from scratch. Hard to have a prototype for a 7'+ 1,500 pound rage machine!

Anyhow, for those pessimists that just wanted something else to criticize, complain about, yell out your expert opinion on - I'm happy to provide an outlet for whatever burns inside of you that constantly needs venting.

But for those of you that were curious to see the trailer, have something fun to look at during the middle of the week, and aren't always so "heavy", I thought you would enjoy the link! laugh.gif

>>Wow CI - you were able to get a broad-based, demographically diverse review of this clip by a "bunch" of people in the last 3 hours

Yes banner, some of us work in a corporate environment, where group dynamics and proximity ensure that you can disseminate information in the blink of an eye. - assuming the VP doesn't see you. grin.gif

Is everyone else on here unemployed?

Hmmm... I'm not sure I would have expected many gals to like the movie regardless of its quality... its more of a "male smash" mentality.

I'm just as excited about Matrix too, but hardly see why that has to diminish either comic film. I'm assuming whether there are (3) or (7) kick-arse movies this summer, that most of us can afford to see them all. I expect Matrix to do better than either comic film, but that will not mean a thing to me. I'm sure in a heavily competitive film environment, one film can siphon dollars away from another to some degree, but I can't see it having a that big of an effect if the other movies are enticing as well.