• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Annual 1 with a bite
1 1

6 posts in this topic

With a press, this would end up being a beautiful copy, except for that little bite taken out of the edge of the cover.  With that piece missing, how high can the grade get?  Is it worth slabbing?

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Just an FYI for next time, when taking pics to post Please remove the book from the bag, show a clear/full picture of the front and rear covers.

Blunted corners, edge wear, multiple color breaking creases, moderate spine stress w/color breaking spine ticks, wrinkling of the cover by "Thor's foot and under the price box, large piece missing from the outer edge.

Without the large piece missing this book, IMO, would have been in the VG+ 4.5 to VG/FN 5.0 range, with the piece missing the grade will naturally be lower, the book overall is much nicer than a FR/GD 1.5 which allows pieces like that to be missing, so, IMO...

GD- 1.8

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, 

GD/VG 3.0 - A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:31 AM, marvelmaniac said:

GD/VG 3.0 - A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable.

This surprised me. My experience is graders aren’t this tight with pieces out of the cover. I’d say 3.0 - 3.5.