• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘Golden Grading’?
2 2

54 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2023 at 9:01 PM, Cat said:

I've seriously wondered what a slab would look like if slabbing had started in the 90's. Now I know..... That. 

It's not a slab.  They only raw-grade comics.  It's basically a top loader and the label is a tamper-evident sticker on the bag.  

Screenshot_20230323_073710_eBay.thumb.jpg.eab4e0ffddeeea9f7f26fc33d3e6858d.jpg

A step up from CBCS' version.

(am I allowed to say CBCS?)

And way better than CGC raw grading.

Anyway....just nice to see yet another company that knows how to avoid Newton rings.

Edited by Sigur Ros

I knew a guy who started one of these in the early 2000s. He did it out of his home in Long Island. Blanking on the name. Elite grading? They used to show up on ebay for a while. 

OK I bought one.

The book arrived in a Gemini mailer.

The "graded" book is a comic book in a bag in a top loader with a sticker across the top.

I spent eight dollars plus shipping for this. You can save your money. I pulled the sticker off in literally 10 seconds. The book is a Mark Jewelers, so there's that. It isn't mint, that's for sure.

On 3/28/2023 at 12:55 AM, Lightning55 said:

I must be blind, because I don't see a sticker.  On the comic you bought (original listing), or past Sold listings.  Do they apply it before they ship it?

Book "slabbed"

IMG_2023_03_28_01_01_29_024.jpg

Pieces after taking it apart to inspect. Came in a "slab" bag. Comic book inside a regular comic bag inside a top loader. Black sticker over the top of the book.

IMG_2023_03_28_01_02_20_368.jpg

On 3/28/2023 at 1:04 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Pieces after taking it apart to inspect. Came in a "slab" bag. Comic book inside a regular comic bag inside a top loader. Black sticker over the top of the book.

IMG_2023_03_28_01_02_20_368.jpg

Oh, I see. I was looking for some type of tamper-evident seal, like an inch or 2 square, not the whole top of the bag.

Interesting that they consider a 7 to be NM, and that comic is neither. Thank you for being the guy to step up and roll the dice. We could start a Go Fund Me page to get you reimbursed. 

On 3/28/2023 at 12:03 AM, FlyingDonut said:

OK I bought one.

The book arrived in a Gemini mailer.

The "graded" book is a comic book in a bag in a top loader with a sticker across the top.

I spent eight dollars plus shipping for this. You can save your money. I pulled the sticker off in literally 10 seconds. The book is a Mark Jewelers, so there's that. It isn't mint, that's for sure.

I wonder if it ever was. :wink:

Great on the MJI.