• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lack of Quality Control and Consistency
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I've been a CGC member for a while now and have submitted a variety of raw books for grading, pressing and cleaning.

It's unfathomable to me that I could send in a Venom Lethal Protector CGC 9.6 Newsstand Slab for a crack and press / clean to be coming back to me with a 9.4 grade without grader notes. 

How are people supposed to have a fair chance to improve their books without the notes from graders? How can a slab go down in grade and not be documented as to why? I understand the acknowledgement from CGC when grading shows that this can happen, but this sure is weak.

I had grand plans to submit many CGC Slabs for pressing, cleaning and re-holstering. But why would I do so now? CGC doesn't seem interested in providing the transparency needed in the comic book community to improve slabs or books. 

I'd be shocked if this post even makes it to the boards since it needs to be approved by a moderator. 

I'm not an angry customer venting. I'm extremely disappointed, sad and feels like my trust in CGC has been severely shaken. 

Luke 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:20 PM, WeAreVenomLP said:

I'm not an angry customer venting. I'm extremely disappointed, sad and feels like my trust in CGC has been severely shaken.

Yes, you are. You gambled and lost, yet are not taking accountability and are instead blaming CGC. If you didn't already know that pressing isn't a magical grade-bumping process, then you've now learned it the hard way.

How are people supposed to have a fair chance to improve their books without the notes from graders?

Also, this sentiment is simply hilarious. CGC could just slap a, "Light Bend on Cover" note and suckers like you would send it to CCS without another thought. Turns out that CGC is just protecting you from yourself.

Totally understand why you're disappointed but you have to consider whether your assumption that the book would come back the same or a higher grade was setting yourself up for a disappointment. It could have happened for any number of reasons. One possible reason is the book was a weak 9.6 to start with and this is a correction. The grader receiving your book was unlikely to know it arrived at CGC a graded 9.6 and was under no obligation to replicate or improve upon the books previous grade. Doesn't change how you feel, I get that, but don't let it sour your collecting fun. 9.4 is still an excellent grade!

On 3/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

The grader receiving your book was unlikely to know it arrived at CGC a graded 9.6 and was under no obligation to replicate or improve upon the books previous grade.

CGC claims to be a third-party grader as the grading room is never to know where a book came from. 2c

On 3/21/2023 at 6:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes, you are. You gambled and lost, yet are not taking accountability and are instead blaming CGC. If you didn't already know that pressing isn't a magical grade-bumping process, then you've now learned it the hard way.

You must just troll the message boards looking to make a smart comment. Nice try guy. 
I'm sure you've never done anything wrong nor have you ever been wronged. Step off Karen. 

On 3/21/2023 at 10:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

CGC claims to be a third-party grader as the grading room is never to know where a book came from. 2c

LOL easy CGC boy. We get it. You are the official spokesman for a company that you don't work for. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:54 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Totally understand why you're disappointed but you have to consider whether your assumption that the book would come back the same or a higher grade was setting yourself up for a disappointment. It could have happened for any number of reasons. One possible reason is the book was a weak 9.6 to start with and this is a correction. The grader receiving your book was unlikely to know it arrived at CGC a graded 9.6 and was under no obligation to replicate or improve upon the books previous grade. Doesn't change how you feel, I get that, but don't let it sour your collecting fun. 9.4 is still an excellent grade!

appreciate you reply! thank you for the kind words and support man. 

I had grand plans to submit many CGC Slabs for pressing, cleaning and re-holstering.

My apologies, but this did make me smile. It's actually called a re-holder.  :wink:

And I do understand your disappointment, but CGC has always maintained that when you resubmit a book there's no guarantee the book will go up in grade. 

Please try to look at this as a learning experience, and I wish you better luck in the future...   :foryou:

On 3/21/2023 at 12:36 PM, WeAreVenomLP said:

You must just troll the message boards looking to make a smart comment. Nice try guy. 
I'm sure you've never done anything wrong nor have you ever been wronged. Step off Karen. 

An emotional response to a logical reply. How quaint. Take responsibility for your choices and stop acting like a child.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Easy, n00b. We get it, you don't have a clue what you're doing.

27.8K posts on these message boards? guy, for the love of god... go outdoors and seek the sunlight and human interaction. Cheers

On 3/21/2023 at 2:17 PM, WeAreVenomLP said:

27.8K posts on these message boards? guy, for the love of god... go outdoors and seek the sunlight and human interaction. Cheers

It would be unwise to take advice from someone who can't hold themself accountable.

I've been a CGC member for a while now and have submitted a variety of raw books for grading, pressing and cleaning.

It's unfathomable to me that I could send in a Venom Lethal Protector CGC 9.6 Newsstand Slab for a crack and press / clean to be coming back to me with a 9.4 grade without grader notes. 

How are people supposed to have a fair chance to improve their books without the notes from graders? How can a slab go down in grade and not be documented as to why? I understand the acknowledgement from CGC when grading shows that this can happen, but this sure is weak.

I had grand plans to submit many CGC Slabs for pressing, cleaning and re-holstering. But why would I do so now? CGC doesn't seem interested in providing the transparency needed in the comic book community to improve slabs or books. 

I'd be shocked if this post even makes it to the boards since it needs to be approved by a moderator. 

Luke 

Was it a strong 9.6 prior to resubmission?  What was the defect you wanted pressed out?  Did CCS press the book?  Although no notes, can you see damage through the slab that would warrant the 9.4 grade?

On 3/21/2023 at 12:01 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I know I'm being way too cynical, but I'm of the opinion that many , if not most, of the 'claims' made by CGC are pure carp.