• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New collectors and graded comics??

3 posts in this topic

Newbie here, I am just getting back into collecting comics after a very long hyatis...Like since childhood.

I do collect the books taht interest me 1st and formost, the artwork in a comic is a big draw for me so thats one aspect of the books i enjoy. Obviously a good story helps quite a bit.

My question is pretty simple, is grading worth it?? I'm not real clear on the "Conditions" .

I'll give an example...The Ultimate books are what got me back in, I have Ultimate Spiderman 1 & 5, that i feel are in great condition, but later in the series they went to the ultra glossy covers and it's near impsible to find them without cracks in the spine (white)

How big a deal is something like that??

Any and all help is greatlly appreciated.

PS. The grading is really a personal thing and not exactlly to resell.

l wouldn't slab Ultimate Spiderman 1 & 5. If you had Amazing Spiderman 1 & 5, that'd be a different story. If your Ultimates were perfect in every way (I'm talking not a speck of white anywhere on the comic), and you were going to resell, it may be worth it. But to keep in your own collection, I wouldn't waste the grading fees.

I recommend picking up the OS Grading Guide. It will provide you with a wealth of information. Also read the threads in the Grading and Restoriation section of this message board. Another great wealth of information.