• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the opinion on PGX grading?

36 posts in this topic

From a sheer business standpoint I send all of my older or valuable books to CGC. I have a lot of demand for new stuff in the 9.6 9.8 range. If I get it CGC graded I can't make as much profit on the book as if it were PGX'd simply because of submission cost. On these low price high grade new books I don't find much difference between CGC and PGX. That said I will only send my older higher value books to CGC as they are the market standard. My personal collection is also completely CGC graded and if the CGC cost for moderns was as low as PGX they would get all my $20-30 books as well. This is simply my policy based on my market experience.

I've purchased two PGX books - an 8.5 Detective 404 which seemed to be accurately graded, and a 6.5(?) early Hulk TTA that was scarily over-graded. I've heard the urban myth about PGX being stricter in the higher grades, but haven't see enough books in person to agree... confused-smiley-013.gif

Most of the comments above are regarding the "past".

The phrase "those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it" applies here. PGX, has to this day, continued to do business with one of the shadiest collectors on eBay. Suspended one day and re-instated the next. All the while receiving very generous grades despite their stricter grading standards...

I'd like nothing better than to welcome a second grading company on the scene but until PGX decides that keeping their company free of question is in their interests...they aren't that second company...

Jim

How does a tie to an NRU'd sellers account have any bearing on PGX's rep?

There are thousands, upon thousands of shady sellers passing-off merch on eBay on any given day. IMO, the NRU'd status of an eBay seller is no reliable measure of seller-shadiness, and in fact indicates nothing more than a more vigilant approach towards satisfying eBay's bottom line by clearing up their dso's (days on sales outstanding).

A few years ago, I had let a payment go for about 90 days and my account was suspended. I had it reinstated the next day. Now eBay doesn't let non-payment go too far past 30 days before they suspend your account. Does the fact that I was NRU'd make me a shady seller too?

I have not yet used PGX, but considering how CGC has decided to remain unyielding on its stance about not mentioning first print on the label when they grade undergrounds, I would sooner have my underground comix graded by PGX than I would CGC.

Good and bad results with PGX, I have had some books in the distant past grade higher from CGC, lately I have had books graded much lower by CGC then the assigned grade from PGX. So as far as I am conserned, I am done taking risks in buying slabbed PGX books as their grading has been much looser lately confused-smiley-013.gif

Chris, seems like a good strategy. Wish I was as wise at 19!

Hey Jeff, thanks for the compliment. I just haven't found trust in their (PGX) mid-grade grading yet. As far as older stuff I have met most of the graders at CGC and I trust their opinions of a books grade. I have only met the Boss at PGX once. He was very nice but I haven't had to many discussions with him about grading in general. I find that it generally isn't too difficult to grade a 9.8 or a 9.6 as comparred to a 4.5 or a 6.0. There aren't so many factors to take into account and the newer stuff 2000 to present in high grade really seems to move the same PGX'd or CGC ( with the exception of the big keys). So for me the choice is as simple as who does it cheaper.

PS: Save me a copy of your book for Wonder-Con if you go or San Diego I want to see your handy work in print.

There aren't so many factors to take into account and the newer stuff 2000 to present in high grade really seems to move the same PGX'd or CGC ( with the exception of the big keys). So for me the choice is as simple as who does it cheaper.

That's exactly it. I don't really have any interest in buying Gold/Silver/Broze PGX books, but if for some reason I wanted a Modern book slabbed, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one certified by PGX.

Here is my take.

Price:

Opinion:

Very fair and reasonable.

Turnaround:

Fact:

In my submission I was told books would be graded and sent out 1 week after they were received. I got them back about a month after I sent them out.

Grading:

Opinion:

I find that PGX's grades on moderns are close to the standards of CGC. Silver/bronze I can not say that. I believe they are lower and less dependable.

Professionalism:

Opinion/Fact:

I have called PGX numerous times and have always spoke to Daniel. I haven't talked to anyone else after about 30 calls. He seems professional on a verbal level but I can not attest to his business ethics. As far as anyone else who works there I can not say for certain if they exist or who they are.

Market Values:

Opinion:

I sent a large number of silver/bronze books to them and not a single one came close to hitting GPA numbers(Ask Shrunkenhead about my Batman #49). It might of been a bad week but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I am still drinking listerine.

From what I've seen:

1) their HG BA grading seems to be on par with CGC with the exception that they are more consistent than CGC - not necessarily more strict. Their 9.6s generally line up, while with CGC, you can have a pretty wide swing on HG BA stuff.

2) Mid-grade SA/GA - PGX really sucks. I mean BAD. You just can't trust it.

What I take from this is that it's an outfit that a) is a little inexperienced, and 2) tries to play a little objectivity into it's grading. I personally think it's easier to call a 9.2-9.8 book than it is a 4.0-7.0 book. If you see NO defects, you go 9.8, if you see a few near imperceptible defects, you go 9.6. What if there's a 1/4 inch piece off the back cover and a 2 inch crease in the corner? That's where the art comes into grading, and PGX doesn't have it down yet.

there are some other non-tangibles like the cgc registry and the cgc boards.

Neither company is going to get all the grades right all the time...you might see more "inconsistency " with cgc, because they are grading way more books than pgx, and everyone likes to advertise the over/under graded books. If a book is graded correctly, no one says a peep about it.

You do realize TD isn't the only ID he's used? Christinacollectibles is one. And I believe he's going by another currently...

There are thousands, upon thousands of shady sellers passing-off merch on eBay on any given day. IMO, the NRU'd status of an eBay seller is no reliable measure of seller-shadiness, and in fact indicates nothing more than a more vigilant approach towards satisfying eBay's bottom line by clearing up their dso's (days on sales outstanding).

You're missing the point...and personally I think we're talking past one another. I'm talking about the seller himself, not a sole eBay ID. PGX has given Terence Leder (TD and other IDs) special consideration despite the passing of resto'd books and changing labels to hide the fact he submitted to PGX after being banned. Daniel each time has come out saying he won't ever deal with him again and we come to find out later they're grading his books. You start to wonder what Leder has on Daniel...if not, then you have to wonder about the association...

Jim

Does anyone have experience with PGX grading? Are they thought of well in the industry? How much more of the comic book market does CGC have compared to PGX?

Your best bet, take everything you read here and then call PGX and discuss it with them. It might help put everything in perspective.

Does anyone have experience with PGX grading? Are they thought of well in the industry? How much more of the comic book market does CGC have compared to PGX?

Your best bet, take everything you read here and then call PGX and discuss it with them. It might help put everything in perspective.

Why?

Have they started publicly admitting that they're sh!te? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, take it from the guy who knows. gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

But seriously, PGX gets my full endorsement. I think both PGX and CGC are great. Certainly pros and cons on both sides but they pretty much equal out. Both are top notch organizations from my viewpoint and experiences. thumbsup2.gif

You do realize TD isn't the only ID he's used? Christinacollectibles is one. And I believe he's going by another currently...

"Christinascollectibles" changed their name to "pgx-it" for a month and then earlier this year changed their name to "ponytailedblunder".