• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any chance Alex Schomburg DIDN'T draw this Young Allies cover?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I recently picked up issue #15 of Young Allies as I work on finishing the run. I was surprised to learn that this cover is NOT credited to Alex Schomburg, but rather to Sol Brodsky. To me there is no mistaking Schomburg's trademark style on this cover. I don't think there is any possibility that anyone besides him drew it. It makes me think that the notation in Overstreet is a typo, and the misattribution cascaded from there onto GCD and CGC labels. I looked at the other Young Allies covers between #5 and #19 and there does appear to be one that doesn't look like Schomburg's art (even though it is attributed to him): #14. I added a pic of the Promise copy for comparison (check out how different Bucky looks!). This makes me think Overstreet meant to notate #14 as the non-Schomburg cover instead of #15. What do folks think? Is Sol Brodsky capable of copying Schomburg's frenetic style?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F8%2F3%2F1%2F27831709%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F5%2F0%2F2%2F25502743%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Great pickup on the YA #15 by the way! I've always loved that cover.

Certain oddball covers have long been misattributed to Schomburg... I've argued here before (but with love!) against All-New #5 & #6, Green Hornet #15, Speed Comics #29 and the aforementioned Young Allies #14. He's got an incredibly distinctive style and we have hundreds of examples of it; none of these convincingly look like his work to me. 

On 3/21/2023 at 11:20 PM, Point Five said:

Great pickup on the YA #15 by the way! I've always loved that cover.

Certain oddball covers have long been misattributed to Schomburg... I've argued here before (but with love!) against All-New #5 & #6, Green Hornet #15, Speed Comics #29 and the aforementioned Young Allies #14. He's got an incredibly distinctive style and we have hundreds of examples of it; none of these convincingly look like his work to me. 

Yeah the goblins and their carbon monoxide poisoning machine... what's not to love??

Thanks for sharing those other books--I agree they don't quite look like Schomburg's work. Usually the trend is the opposite: attributing a cover to a famous artist to boost its desirability and value. But in this situation, we have a book which is so obviously the work of a famous artist but somehow credited to someone else!