• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yo CI, got your new guide handy?

13 posts in this topic

There are some gem investment and market analysis quotes from your comic investment strategies mentor himself - Harry Thomas. Thought you'd get a big kick out of 'em!

There are some gem investment and market analysis quotes from your comic investment strategies mentor himself - Harry Thomas.

And........for those of us that don't have a guide yet, what are they?

Or is this just an 'in' joke between you two great buddys? tongue.gif

1) Dell comics are without doubt the overall best-selling line of comic books on the internet

2) the market for Very Good to F+ is alive and well and has CONTINUED to bring THOUSANDS of new collectors to the hobby, mainly through e-bay.

3) competition for books on the internet has increased, and it has become much more difficult to to get a real bargain there.

4) Silver AGe books are now STARTING to sell well in VG to F.

I've just touched on a few items, so without the entire "overview" some of these statements printed here may be taken out of context. Like the Dell thing, he goes on to say they do not bring in high dollars, but the quantity is there.

Just a positive report, one of many that is generally opposite of Joe_Collectors well known (but respected - by myself anyway) negative view on the future of our hobby. grin.gif

Just a positive report, one of many that is generally opposite of Joe_Collectors well known (but respected - by myself anyway) negative view on the future of our hobby.

Thanks nina, its hard to get a handle on threads when the posters don't explain themselves. grin.gif

Are we all mind readers now? tongue.gif

Actually, I think this market report supports Joe Collector's opinions; that the future of the hobby is still with mig-grade books, which makes up 90% (??) of our hobby. I think Joe's dismal future outlook is regarding the future of super-high-grade CGC books.

I'm getting scared now.

If you're getting scared, then Joe's antics are catching up with you - so lighten up!! So many things scare him about this hobby you'd think it was Halloween around here 24/7! shocked.gif

No, the good master of market mayhem was ridiculing Harry's old Market reports last week, but Harry's current market report could've been written by CI...oops, I mean Joe_collector himself! One of the gems talks about dealers stopping to slab mid-grade books, which will eventually mean that "...what's left will not be enough for the third party graders to stay in business; then the hobby can get back to reality."

In general, the market reports were upbeat (especially on Bronze Age books), and who can blame them - I'm sure more dealers made more money last year than ever before, and more collectors were able to acquire more high grade/gem/pedigree books than at probably any time since the original Mile High Collection was shared with the comic collecting community.

However, there were quite a few reports w/anti-CGC sentiments, and others reflecting on a slowdown late in the year (which is what led Bob to, once again, be conservative in the price increases in the guide), so both sides of the coin were shown.

Where did you get that? I aven't seen JC expess ONE positive opinion about the future of comic collecting yet. High grade or low grade it's all dismall. Maybe I just missed it, but it would be easy to miss one positive comment amongst 1,000,000 negative ones.

Harry Thomas wrote an extremely humorous article in an Overstreet Update:

Card Hobbyists Add Comic Books to Increase Revenue

This article dealt with the incredible growth comics were to enjoy in the early-90's, since non-traditional outlets like card shops were taking up the Comic Investment torch:

Most of the collectors buying comics at the store are former hard-core sports card purchasers!! These new hobbyists seem to be interested in the hot comics...

... (they) were busily going from one comic dealer to another, searching out new hot titles to add to their small but growing collections. Neither had collected comics until the last few months

Topps Inc. has now added a comic book division, and from all indications intend to aggressively market their product"

There are real changes coming to the comic book hobby. Good changes, like growth which will make the sales of new books even more phenomenal than they are now... One thing is for sure, this trend is here to stay. Be warned!

Comic Source...what a great concept! Comic Source was ebay before ebay was more than a few Pez dispensers in an old shoebox. I purchased much of my silver age collection from Warren and the other advertisers, market reports...buy/sell lists...man, that pub was great! grin.gif I think I still have every issue, and had just renewed my subscription when they quit publishing... mad.gif Anyhow, for kicks I think I'll scan in a page of Spidey books for sale to share with the forum!