• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify the print version of this Killing Joke TBP?
2 2

32 posts in this topic

A ten second Google found this...if you can trust everything/anything you find on the Interweb.

1st Print - Green

2nd Print - Pink

3rd Print - Yellow

4th Print - Orange

5th Print - Teal (some sort of blue)

6th Print - Red

7th Print - some neon green

8th Print - another shade of blue

And is yours pink or red? Scanners/photos sometimes lie. The GCD says edition 3 was $4.95 so yours may be a pink second edition at $3.95. I know mine is definitely a first edition green. No idea which is the most valuable. You'd think later editions would be smaller print runs but with comics that isn't always the case. As something becomes more well known print runs may grow. You'd think the bar code would differentiate between different editions if you know how to read it but I'm too thick to work that out.

https://www.comics.org/issue/43808/

Mine is most definitely red.  The 9th print is red with a 4.95 price, but my front text seems to be brighter.  Doesn’t look orange or pink, and no other colors are even close that I’ve seen listed.

I’m not saying it’s valuable or anything,  I’m just curious because this type of thing is usually well documented.

and I’m not seeing any 3.95 cover prices on your link or on key collector - only on my copy.

Edited by Browns81

So the first two editions cost $3.50 and apparently issue 3 onwards cost $4.95. But the price of the issue you own says $3.95. Did they do a later/cheaper printing?  Are your contents identical to other editions?  I love a good mystery. Here is a pink second edition. Note yours says "For mature readers" too.

pink.thumb.jpg.3321495d35280210ab5493114b0f131d.jpg

717041882_backsecondprint.thumb.jpg.5193460f620908ffce3a19acab378522.jpg

A simple indica check would tell you which printing it is, wouldn’t it? Either way, the barcode 00119 looks like 9th print to me. 

Issue 1 (001), Cover A (01), 9th print (9) 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 3/24/2023 at 3:53 PM, Browns81 said:

Interesting, good for me I guess.  Thanks!

it turns out this is the rarest print and actually worth some dough.

I had it out for the pink once upon a time, but I don't remember why, will bless me to recall. I thought there were something crazy like 11 to 15 prints? That is astronomical, and I wonder why the 9th was the lowest circulation? "Scratch that we'll gone for several more printings!?!" Ha.

Congrats on the book, where did you locate? I'll read back some posts to see if it was mentioned....

Ah red with a different price? Makes sense. Lol happy that you found it though, I made contributions to many a store hoping to find in the wild.

Scratch all that, after years I buy one and the slab has debris in it doh!

Such is life I guess.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had it out for the pink once upon a time, but I don't remember why, will bless me to recall. I thought there were something crazy like 11 to 15 prints? That is astronomical, and I wonder why the 9th was the lowest circulation? "Scratch that we'll gone for several more printings!?!" Ha.

Congrats on the book, where did you locate? I'll read back some posts to see if it was mentioned....

I bought it at my LCS back in the day.  

On 3/24/2023 at 5:44 PM, awakeintheashes said:

A simple indica check would tell you which printing it is, wouldn’t it? Either way, the barcode 0119 looks like 9th print to me. 

Issue 1, Cover A, 9th print 

Yea it probably would!  I was confused about the key collector pricing though which was wrong.  Maybe I can get a No Prize for have it updated!

On 3/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, Browns81 said:

Yea it probably would!  I was confused about the key collector pricing though which was wrong.  Maybe I can get a No Prize for have it updated!

Indeed possible, they have an email suggestion box, I've sent in stuff. I "want" to say they listened once, and the lol

The next time I accidentally deleted their response email haha, they told me they thought my add of Nintendo Power was interesting several years ago, called it "interesting" doh!

The deleted email was for them to add star wars 4 35 cent variant, but I don't see it ever added.

Grain of salt but feedback. :cheers: ah but that was gocollect. So never-ending  :sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/24/2023 at 6:55 PM, Browns81 said:

Yeah, I’ve found KCC to have quite a bit of wrong info. Really only use it to see where the sheep are heading. 

On 3/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, Qalyar said:

This is a 9th print, certainly. Congratulations, they've always demanded a surprisingly high price.

9th is arguably the hardest of the "numbered" printings, but the Book of the Month Club variant that looks like a 4th print from the front cover is a real ghost book.

I have 2 of the BOMC editions