• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best time of the year to sell?

14 posts in this topic

1.What time of the year is the best time to sell Silver Age comics and get most profit?

2. Do you usually wait to sell books till after the new price guides have come out?

some examples: Possibly-

*winter-because of Christmas

*before release of a movie-such as X-men, Spiderman

*summer?

Thanks

I'd be interested in other folks' responses to this....but personally, I list books whenever I'm ready to sell them and have the time to put into listing them:

--Unless you're selling lots and lots of high grade SA books, it's hard to imagine that a price guide release would have that much impact on your final sale prices. The mid-to-low grade values barely move in OS, plus the OS prices aren't terribly accurate in those grades anyway.

--Movies: You know, I find the exact opposite to be true when movies are released...it's a good time to be a BUYER, because every seller has the exact same idea and lists books of whichever character is in an upcoming movie. For instance, when Spidey 2 came out, the ebay listings of SA Spideys tripled, and I got some tremendous deals on books since there was such a ridiculous glut of SA Spidey listings...so I would say that was a bad time to be a seller of Spideys. Same with the Batman movie this summer...I picked up some nice cheap GA Bat-books, since there were suddenly a lot more offered.

--Seasons: Maybe just my experience, but I don't notice a strong enough pattern to worry about which season I'm listing in (as long as your auctions aren't closing on a major holiday, of course).

Ya i feel the same way about selling when a movie comes out.

I guess the best idea of when to online-is when there are not many others.

For example I am selling a Xmen# 1 cgc 4.0. and right now it looks like there is one other graded 4.0. But in the past I have seen 2-3 4.0's on at the same time. I will wait till there are none for sale. Thanks

I have to say that I actually cashed in on the Elektra hype when Daredevil was shown in theaters. I submitted a 168 that came back a 9.4 and sold it immediately for a $300 buy-it-now on ebay. Now, that price would be considered outrageous.

Typically, I sell books whenever I feel like it. Ebay has always paid me far more than dealers ever have (and I've worked with many). Ebay auctions have always been a good indicator of any book's market value (when reserves aren't set at prices so high, nobody wants them - real market value is harder to assess in these cases).

As far as movie hype is concerned, it's usually a good idea to list your books several months before the movie hits theaters. For instance, last year I waited for someone to list their X-Men #101 CGC graded 9.4 copy on Ebay, and it sold for $505. I quickly posted my 9.4 copy and it sold for $455. The following week a couple of people started listing their 9.6 copies, and so on. Now, a 9.4 copy would probably sell for less than $350.

I also listed my 4.5 copy of Action Comics #252 on Comiclink a month ago and it sold for $395 within a week. There's no way I would've gotten this price without the upcoming Superman movie. However, I bet a glut of these books will be hitting the market real soon, therefore, lowering the price. You always want the prospective buyer to think that they have a chance at cashing in once the movie hits theaters. They may or may not, but let them take the chance.

The seasonality I've heard mentioned by the powersellers here (like FlyingDonut) is beginning of the year.

During the holiday season money is sucked up buying Christmas presents. When January hits, buying increases.

So using this logic, Christmas would be the best time to buy then? I hope so, as I might be able to afford to buy some books around that time.

The seasonality I've heard mentioned by the powersellers here (like FlyingDonut) is beginning of the year.

During the holiday season money is sucked up buying Christmas presents. When January hits, buying increases.

So using this logic, Christmas would be the best time to buy then? I hope so, as I might be able to afford to buy some books around that time.

Xmas, like mid - Summer, is the worst time to buy as there's far less stuff available..

Xmas, like mid - Summer, is the worst time to buy as there's far less stuff available..

Is mid-Summer bad because it's comic con season? I've heard that argument here as well.

Is mid-Summer bad because it's comic con season? I've heard that argument here as well.

That's it - the Con season (March - September) generally means collectors saving up for events in their area...and I've noticed that during the peak of the season, when SD is followed by Chicago, there's a lot less quality stuff on ebay.

i think i'd dis-agree...i noticed a healthy surge in prices the last two years on hi grade comics up until Christmas ane then a slump after as the bills set in...possibly becaue people are not working as hard (more time on the computer, although this does not apply to forum members as we never work anyway), money is more easily laundered from the other (ie. more financially stable) half during this season devil.gif and people are generally in a feel good mood (and maybe a litttle tipsy as well). Just my opinion but i thought you guys would have noticed it too.

i think i'd dis-agree...i noticed a healthy surge in prices the last two years on hi grade comics up until Christmas ane then a slump after as the bills set in...possibly becaue people are not working as hard (more time on the computer, although this does not apply to forum members as we never work anyway), money is more easily laundered from the other (ie. more financially stable) half during this season devil.gif and people are generally in a feel good mood (and maybe a litttle tipsy as well). Just my opinion but i thought you guys would have noticed it too.

December 2003 was one of my best selling months ever....

November 2005 turned out to be one of my best buying months ever....

The difference is the market....its lukewarm at best, and compared to the red hot December of just two short years ago, its downright cold. Prices are down across the board and I am winning more and more auctions with my piddling, cheap- bids (usually 20-30% below the last GPA Recorded Sale).

So, to answer the original question posed in the thread: unless you have something super rare or desirable, now is NOT the time to try and sell.