• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my: More Fun Comics #49 & SSC #36!!!

39 posts in this topic

3.0/3.5

3.5/4.0

My thoughts exactly. No way either one is a 2.0 screwy.gif

Like I said, I am a bastiche.

27_laughing.gif, again, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean but what standards do you follow to arrive at your grade? You keep saying you are a bastiche when it comes to grading...is there a bastiche grading handbook? stooges.gif

Actually, yes. "The Bastiche Guide to Comic Book Grading, Second Edition" by Timulty. It has a wonderful foreward about the joy of grading, bastiche style. A few dedications in the front of the book to friends but no parents. Also, has a list of guide standards based on picture, resolution and scan size. There is a chapter, that is hilarious by the way titled "Bastice Grading or How I learned to love my low grade comic."

Dude, I am not a professional grader. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Your copy is very nice. Were I in the market for a copy and yours were for sale, I would be buying it. Provided it guided at my grade or under guide. I am just as harsh on my own comics. Let me tell you.

Very nice. I could use some info onto the extent of the damage on the bottome left corner, but as of now I'd say a 4.5. Fairly nice spine, nice corners for a GA book, but it looks to be some very heavy foxing. 4.5 sounds about right to be.

---------

Woops! Had to edit, didn't see the two links the first time. After seeing the back cover I'd say I was very confident with the grade of 4.5 for this book. That's some very bad foxing though. I could understand some giving it a 4.0 because the foxing was so bad, but nonetheless I'll stick with my 4.5. headbang.gif

King of Rulers or others

Allow me if you will to hijack your thread and grade my More Fun 41, curious what you think. BTW only inflated grades please. Nothing less than 4.0 allowed sumo.gif

I can't respond within the context of the request 27_laughing.gif

How would this book not be at least a 4.0?

Yet once again I must reference a book from the OS grading guide to further validate my grade with another example. Go to page 254. That book has similar defects and got a 4.5. It has less spine wear but more edge wear; about equal amount of foxing and similar corner quality. How would this More Fun book not be equal to this book in grade? popcorn.gif

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that many like to undergrade as to appear to be "strict" graders. I guess that is better than being a liberal grader, but why can't we just grade them by guide without trying to be strict or anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I also disagree with his grading but he sticks to it with his Captain Marvel Advs 73 he has on ebay which is clearly better than the More Fun 41. I would have graded his higher.

In the end, now that good scans are basically required on significant $$$ books the buyers usually get it right with auction type sales. I know that when I over grade, the sale price is low and if I undergrade I am pleasantly surprised.

To me a solid book with no painful defects is a VG or better. Once you get major wrinkling/creases or small pieces missing, it starts to fall in the G/VG or less range. Thats just me though.

Your More Fun #42 is quite possibly a 4.0 or better, but we'd have to see the BC to be sure 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

btw, I am an accurate grader, not a strict grader sumo.gif

I tend to be harsher on lower grade books and more forgiving on higher grade books grin.gif