• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC offer service to crack CGC slabs at Cons for those doing in person signings?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'll be at C2E2 event and I have a couple of in person signings that I'd like to do for some books that are already slabbed by CGC. CGC will be at C2E2 and I was wondering if they provide a service to crack slabs at the event or do I need to do that myself?

On 3/28/2023 at 8:20 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm pretty sure you take it to the CGC booth and they'll crack the slab for you.  Whatever you do, do not crack a slab without the authorization of a CGC witness.  The chain of custody has to remain unbroken.

I'm assuming CGC will charge a fee to crack the slab?

On 3/28/2023 at 8:31 PM, paullam15 said:

I'm assuming CGC will charge a fee to crack the slab?

It used to be a $5 charge.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.  You could try asking in the Ask CGC section of the boards where a CGC rep will be able to answer business related questions.

On 3/28/2023 at 9:15 PM, paullam15 said:

I'll be at C2E2 event and I have a couple of in person signings that I'd like to do for some books that are already slabbed by CGC. CGC will be at C2E2 and I was wondering if they provide a service to crack slabs at the event or do I need to do that myself?

This is my understanding...

If the slabbed book(s) that you want to get signed at C2E2 are Universal (blue) label, feel free to deslab them yourself. Personally, if I can deslab it myself, I do. I never let CGC do that which I can do myself (if possible) - I'm 100% certain that I care more for my books than they do.

If the slabbed book(s) that you want to get signed at C2E2 are Signature Series (yellow) label, ALWAYS have CGC crack them out for you. You'll lose the yellow label if you crack them out yourself.

Not sure about any cost for deslabbing.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:41 AM, paullam15 said:

Yes, these will be Universal Label books I'll be getting signed at C2E2. Good to know that CGC does deslab book for you if you want another signature on an existing Signature Series book.

Well you can assume they want more business