• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN: PGM X-Men #103
1 1

7 posts in this topic

This one is definitely a cautionairy tale about any kind of edge color fading. I had similar fading on my #106 and it ended up 1-2 grades lower than I thought it would (8.5), but I think this fade dropped this one at 2-3 least grades, if not more.

Grade: 6.5 White Pages

Notes: light bends to cover, light creasing to cover. light fade to cover, light spine stress lines to cover

X-Men103-16.5.thumb.jpg.7c63da815f1a08ec196f0ad085bf05e2.jpg

X-Men103-26.5.thumb.jpg.74113665bfe38d4a10c03a6e87df1921.jpg

On 4/15/2023 at 8:44 PM, atticus.fetch said:

cautionairy tale about any kind of edge color fading

I can recommend the CGC Guide for predicting the impact *some* defects. Others are left pretty ambiguous in their written description (i.e. a more subjective call for the grader), but fading is not one of these. The description, along with some images, gives a pretty good handle on what their standards are.

PXL_20230416_021355980.jpg

On 4/15/2023 at 7:17 PM, scburdet said:

I can recommend the CGC Guide for predicting the impact *some* defects. Others are left pretty ambiguous in their written description (i.e. a more subjective call for the grader), but fading is not one of these. The description, along with some images, gives a pretty good handle on what their standards are.

PXL_20230416_021355980.jpg

I disagree that the entire cover is faded (like in the Hulk #181 examples). It really isn't when compared to other samples (here's the image used on GoCollect: https://gocollect.com/comic/x-men-103). It's just the top edge that must have been exposed to light or something and it fades from red to orange. I get being hammered for the kind of fading depicted in the guide, but not so sure such a harsh standard should be applied to the top edge. But now I know where CGC stands on the matter.