• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Romita Jr signatures at Las Vegas Comic Con question

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a bit of a noob, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, or if it has already been asked many times.

I live about a 90 minute drive from Las Vegas, so I am thinking about attending the Las Vegas Comic Con at the end of April. I saw that John Romita Jr will be signing stuff, and a Las Vegas comic shop will be witnessing the signatures for CGC. Do you all think that this would be worth the money and effort to get a comic signed by Romita Jr? If so, what books would you recommend using? I just got some of my old baseball cards graded, and I am thinking about reinvesting the next sale towards this. 

I really appreciate your insight. 

Thanks,

Beau 

Jr is an acquired taste but has the leniage and pedigree, from work he's done, so all in all it would be a personal choice. Some facilitators allow you to mail items for the same service that they witness to take care of, save you a drive, con tickets and the crowd. Cgc also has signings sometimes with him here where you can mail in, even some of those have sketch options.

In short or imo to drive all that way to include what you want has a personal touch ! I wouldn't personally unless I was already attending the con and he happened to be there, but that's me.

Affinity can go a long way, but if you need to ask? Then perhaps you have options of mailing?

@Beaudini if you want to though no harm, go for it. :)

Thanks, Adamantium,

I live about 90 miles from Las Vegas and am planning to go anyway. I have never been to a Comic Con. I'm just not sure that I want to splurge on the extra time and money that it would take to get a book signed by him. I'm looking on eBay, and it looks like the first appearances of Hobgoblin and Madam Web might be good choices, but it also looks like the copies without his signature are going for about the same as the signed copies. 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:36 PM, Beaudini said:

Thanks, Adamantium,

I live about 90 miles from Las Vegas and am planning to go anyway. I have never been to a Comic Con. I'm just not sure that I want to splurge on the extra time and money that it would take to get a book signed by him. I'm looking on eBay, and it looks like the first appearances of Hobgoblin and Madam Web might be good choices, but it also looks like the copies without his signature are going for about the same as the signed copies. 

I was just going to add that it also depends on if you are a fan of his and if you are wanting the chance & experience to meet him.  But you may have already answered that above.  

Have fun at your very first con!

I would say, if you are a somewhat casual collector, it is generally quite difficult to derive significant FINANCIAL VALUE from the following scenario:

"Comic Creator X is coming to a convention near me, I will go out and purchase (at market price) a book (or books) for him/her to sign, then pay the convention fee, signing fee, CGC fees, shipping/insurance, (not to mention risk of loss or damage, time value of money, opportunity cost)"  The odds of significant profit become less if don't know much about CGC and CGC SS or the comic industry at large, and even less if you are not an expert grader, as the value of any given comic is SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED BY THE GRADE.  Some of this can be overcome if with economies of scale, but how much are you willing to invest for a hobby you're not an expert in?

So if there's a book you want for yourself and you're gonna have a good time anyways, he's pretty gregarious and one can always find something fun to do in Vegas, and in the right grade you won't LOSE money.  But if you have an actual profit motive, the odds aren't great of profit (unless you've been hoarding your own high-grade comics since the 80's).