• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE starring Chris Pratt, Charlie Day (2023)

88 posts in this topic

Going to see it with the family this weekend. My son is as obsessed with Mario today as I was 33 years ago.

It could be a terrible movie, but he will eat it up. I just hope it’s watchable because I’m sure it’ll be on loop when it hits streaming. 

On 4/5/2023 at 10:51 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Going to see it with the family this weekend. My son is as obsessed with Mario today as I was 33 years ago.

It could be a terrible movie, but he will eat it up. I just hope it’s watchable because I’m sure it’ll be on loop when it hits streaming. 

Can it really be any worse than the 90's movie? 

On 4/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, Cat said:

Can it really be any worse than the 90's movie? 

lol doubtful. Even I thought that was terrible when it came out, and I was a Mario stan as the kids say. 

On 4/5/2023 at 12:11 PM, awakeintheashes said:

lol doubtful. Even I thought that was terrible when it came out, and I was a Mario stan as the kids say. 

I still remember seeing it in the cinema as a kid. I didn't know what to think. Iirc I made myself like it, because after all, it WAS Mario.... wasn't it? 

On 4/5/2023 at 5:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's what could make the difference. Critics are judging on if this tells a comprehensive story. Audiences will go (and pass on recommendations) if this hits all the nostalgia marks and is fun.

This definitely should do good box office. Super Mario's fan base is huge. I wouldn't be surprised if this overtakes Ant-Man 3 at the box office 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:55 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

This definitely should do good box office. Super Mario's fan base is huge. I wouldn't be surprised if this overtakes Ant-Man 3 at the box office 

A photo of my butthole could do that. 

On 4/6/2023 at 2:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

With TheSuperMarioBros movie and The Last of Us show both being big hits I wonder if the trend now going forward with Hollywood is to slowly move on from superhero movies and now start focusing more on video games?

hm

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

On 4/6/2023 at 8:09 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

With TheSuperMarioBros movie and The Last of Us show both being big hits I wonder if the trend now going forward with Hollywood is to slowly move on from superhero movies and now start focusing more on video games?

hm

You know they will. Especially those studios that chase the trends rather than develop unique concepts.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Big Wednesday opening

This movie is going to be critic proof.  For kids and parents it looks like great word of mouth, and there is nothing to challenge it for at least 3 weeks.  Would not be surprised if this hits $1 billion. Especially since it is not opening in Korea or Japan for another 2 or 3 weeks, and those will be big markets for this.

Edited by drotto

Took my nephews to see this yesterday and found it to be hilarious. I enjoyed the movie the entire time though there were a couple of little things I didn't like but they weren't that bad.  This was the first movie in a while were the crowd clapped at the end (though half of the crowd was under 13).  If you have a child or just want to watch something funny with a good story go and watch this.