• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, Fischb1 said:

Today's prices have been super strong so far. Agree? 

My prediction was that it was tough to write a 6m check right now and that there was only one party who would bid at that level, and that it would end at $6m with no further bids.    Remind me what happened?  :kidaround:

On 6/22/2023 at 1:33 PM, Bronty said:

My prediction was that it was tough to write a 6m check right now and that there was only one party who would bid at that level, and that it would end at $6m with no further bids.    Remind me what happened?  :kidaround:

I'm not talking about that 1 piece. That was never what we debated on. We were debating on the general state of the comic art market, and today's prices have been fire. Everything has gone on the higher end. The market looks super-strong at least for today. 

On 6/20/2023 at 1:12 PM, Bronty said:

You can say things in certain classes have bounced back 10-15% off of YTD lows and I won’t argue; I’ve seen that in some collectible classes too.   But in the categories I watch the stuff that’s doing “great” is basically flat and the stuff that’s doing poorly is well, doing poorly.    I’m not sure what changes if you want to parse this asset class or that asset class.  

Let me just ask you this:   Do you think that _on average_ it’s easier or harder to write a 6m check than it was two years ago?   That’s really the only question at hand. 

Anyways, that’s my 2 cents.   If you have a reply then let’s take it to pm’s to leave the discussion flowing for everyone else 

see above, and similar comments.   If you were extrapolating my comments to mean the whole market was in the tank then I think we weren't quite connecting on the discussion.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:03 PM, Bronty said:

A $6m potential sale for a piece that surprises some people is going to have some of that.     Maybe it’s pessimistic maybe it’s realistic but it’s never going to be a discussion that is all sunshine and puppies.    Besides we just came out of three years of sunshine and puppies that halted pretty abruptly

This was what set off my responses to you.

Either way, today's prices have been super strong. Blue chip Comic oa looks strong to me. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:45 PM, batman_fan said:

I am officially old what is “eightball” and was $33,600 a good deal?

Well its an indy book from the 90s of some acclaim.    I seem to recall one interior page going for even more than that.

I don't play in that market but the price seemed reasonable to me, as though it could have gone for something more.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:47 PM, Bronty said:

Well its an indy book from the 90s of some acclaim.    I seem to recall one interior page going for even more than that.

I don't play in that market but the price seemed reasonable to me, as though it could have gone for something more.

my bad Greg,

the piece I was thinking of was also a cover from the same creator.   47k ten years ago:    https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/dan-clowes-lloyd-llewellyn-3-cover-original-art-fantagraphics-1986-/a/7079-92351.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

On 6/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, Bronty said:

my bad Greg,

the piece I was thinking of was also a cover from the same creator.   47k ten years ago:    https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/dan-clowes-lloyd-llewellyn-3-cover-original-art-fantagraphics-1986-/a/7079-92351.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I had to go take something for nausea when I saw the cover and then lost it when I saw the final hammer

On 6/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, batman_fan said:

I had to go take something for nausea when I saw the cover and then lost it when I saw the final hammer

its an acquired taste.   I remember seeing Clowes books on the stands in the 90s and needing something for nausea at first as well, and eventually coming around to enjoying his style.   I still haven't really read his work but I mean to eventually.     Sometimes work that has an original look is hard to swallow at first but if it manages to grab you the thing you hated about it becomes the thing you love about it.     I hated Kirby as a 12 year old but came to love him later for example. 

On 6/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, Bronty said:

its an acquired taste.   I remember seeing Clowes books on the stands in the 90s and needing something for nausea at first as well, and eventually coming around to enjoying his style.   I still haven't really read his work but I mean to eventually.     Sometimes work that has an original look is hard to swallow at first but if it manages to grab you the thing you hated about it becomes the thing you love about it.     I hated Kirby as a 12 year old but came to love him later for example. 

Eightball is a great read. As far as the art selling for what it does, whatever. I wouldn't pay much for it. 

Kamandi at 24k is "only" 1k off its 2020 price, right? That would confirm the market cooling off but certainly not crashing.  For sure I think Byrne UXM page would have gone hjgher one / two years ago. Congrats to the buyer, it is a great page.

Overall market is down about 35 percent compared to the absolute peak in prices from 1st Half 2022(I know that sounds crazy but just go take a look through the HA archives). There are however still quite a few hot sectors, especially from art from the last 20 years or so.

The Hush cover would have sold for double a year ago.

The lol of today for me was the Bane pages. 

On 6/22/2023 at 2:05 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Overall market is down about 35 percent compared to the absolute peak in prices from 1st Half 2022(I know that sounds crazy but just go take a look through the HA archives). There are however still quite a few hot sectors, especially from art from the last 20 years or so.

Do you think the Bane pages were overpriced?

On 6/22/2023 at 4:05 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Comparing this Hush covers to other Hush covers that sold I see a gap between them. Better ones have sold for much more but it's not a straight math equation to move down to chain.

If I would have seen anything at a 35% discount today, in a platinum session, I would have been a likely bidder/buyer. 

Any particular pieces you noticed down 35%? And what comps are you using? I always struggle with this type of analysis because moving one issue or a few months for a title or artist is going to produce dramatically different results in demand and price. This platinum session had a few unicorns that defied comparison, that added to the difficulty.  

On 6/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, calicomic said:

Do you think the Bane pages were overpriced?

Compared to other first appearance prices the results are pretty silly for a B+ ish level Batman villain IMO and would not be my choice, but I kind of get the premium on Batman’s Rogues gallery as it is probably the most popular as a whole.