• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

`DC is kind of a different market. Think that Flash 142 splash at 28.8K was right on the money, and the Hawkman splash for B & B 44 for 24K was stronger than I thought. These SA story splashes don't turn up often, so hard to benchmark, but think the Donnely's Flash 130 splash will now be over $40K. DC SA looks like still rolling forward.

I think this is only the beginning of a long down trend. The market went up to high, too fast. It is a good time to buy. The market will eventually stabilize.

On 6/23/2023 at 4:00 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Who is taking these losses, and what is forcing them to sell the art this quickly? Is this just poor cash management by small collectors? Whales or dealers who don't give a damn? I'm really puzzled by this... these loss amounts are not peanuts.

I took losses (30%+) on two items in the last auction. I’d consigned them back as part of a package to pay for a bigger item I’d won in November. Unfortunately HA didn’t get my things in to the February auction. I think I’d have been much better if they had.

On 6/24/2023 at 2:17 AM, delekkerste said:

I know of numerous sales both yesterday and today where the consignors are not happy.

"Not happy" is too subjective a standard.  How rational is their unhappiness?  How many of them actually lost money?  Or did they actually make a boatload of money, and are only unhappy because they lost theoretical additional profits based on a theoretical Pandemic peak price?

$25K hammer - Spy vs Spy from Mad #60

Mad #60 was the first issue Spy vs Spy appeared in. Two were in the issue, one complete one (made up of a 6 panel gag and a single top panel) went for $11K in 2006. One in this auction was only the bottom 6 panel gag, top single panel was not included.

image.thumb.png.9be6e2b1e02a60726b2e7c0c4c01cc84.png

Edited by Brian Peck

On 6/24/2023 at 4:08 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

So do people believe that the oa part of the hobby is also now facing some price softening with these prices even if not as severe as the lockdown highs for comics? 

I have said this before; you are seeing market stratification. Top pieces may continue to rise, B and C grade pieces, flat or down, particularly SA where collectors are greying out. And, there will always be some rising stars, like Harley Quinn pages or popular artists. 

On 6/24/2023 at 8:09 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I have said this before; you are seeing market stratification. Top pieces may continue to rise, B and C grade pieces, flat or down, particularly SA where collectors are greying out. And, there will always be some rising stars, like Harley Quinn pages or popular artists. 

I think this is true more for DC art than Marvel. Mediocre Marvel art like Ayers Sgt. Fury, western art and art from books like Dakota North, Dazzler, Strikeforce Morituri and Thundercats all seem to be doing very well. DC art almost always seems to sell low unless it's a big name artist drawing it. I watched a Chuck Patton Justice League of America page sell in the Wednesday night auction for $34 (before fees, which would probably put the $34 page near $100 in the final total). I know that had to break the heart of the seller.

I have watched some art sell fairly low in this auction, which was a surprise. I think it has made a lot of sellers with major pieces think twice about selling right now and I'm sure art is being pulled from future auctions as I type this.

We will see how it all plays out tomorrow, I guess, since there are several pieces that are really nice that people are watching.

On 6/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, Michael Browning said:

I think this is true more for DC art than Marvel. Mediocre Marvel art like Ayers Sgt. Fury, western art and art from books like Dakota North, Dazzler, Strikeforce Morituri and Thundercats all seem to be doing very well. DC art almost always seems to sell low unless it's a big name artist drawing it. I watched a Chuck Patton Justice League of America page sell in the Wednesday night auction for $34 (before fees, which would probably put the $34 page near $100 in the final total). I know that had to break the heart of the seller.

I have watched some art sell fairly low in this auction, which was a surprise. I think it has made a lot of sellers with major pieces think twice about selling right now and I'm sure art is being pulled from future auctions as I type this.

We will see how it all plays out tomorrow, I guess, since there are several pieces that are really nice that people are watching.

You may well be right, since I don’t pay attention to Marvel art. 

On 6/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, Michael Browning said:

DC art almost always seems to sell low unless it's a big name artist drawing it. I watched a Chuck Patton Justice League of America page sell in the Wednesday night auction for $34 (before fees, which would probably put the $34 page near $100 in the final total).

Then again, a Patton DPS featuring "Vibe" sold for $5040 in April... I don't know which result is the crazier one hm