• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

I find the lower half of the figure a touch awkward, and I don't quite know what the heck I'm looking at, but in a good scan like that it sure does draw you in like few pieces can.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/21/2023 at 3:17 PM, Bronty said:

I find the lower half of the figure a touch awkward, and I don't quite know what the heck I'm looking at, but in a good scan like that it sure does draw you in like few pieces can.

You're not alone...I've heard A LOT of people murmuring behind the scenes about WTF is going on with those leg muscles. :fear: 

On 4/21/2023 at 3:55 PM, delekkerste said:

You're not alone...I've heard A LOT of people murmuring behind the scenes about WTF is going on with those leg muscles. :fear: 

Frank found inspiration from pics he found in magazines all the time... am sure bodybuilding mags were a source for him in the 60s and 70s

0lja509bs6xz.jpg

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 4/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, delekkerste said:

"leg muscles"

On 4/21/2023 at 1:41 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Frank found inspiration from pics he found in magazines all the time... am sure bodybuilding mags were a source for him in the 60s and 70s

0lja509bs6xz.jpg

I can't unsee this. Is this the tryout for Conan The Barbarian. lol

On 4/20/2023 at 8:30 PM, batman_fan said:

:whatthe:

Everyone in favor of Jim Warden sitting this one out say aye !!!

CGC = board unanimous the ayes have it. :golfclap:

Consignor =  NOT SO FAST !!! (tsk)

It is not the leg muscles, IMHO. It is the knee, which is weirdly cut in two by a poor choice in the use of light. It also seems disproportionate to the figure. In any case, never got the appeal of Frazetta. He was a great illustrator, but his paintings pale compared to accomplished painters in the fine arts realm. We enjoy it because it tickles our fancy (and to be clear, I enjoy his pieces too), but I can't ever imagine paying that much for one of his paintings when much better things can be had at the same price in any Sotheby's or Christie's auctions.  

On 4/21/2023 at 7:36 PM, bernoulli said:

It is not the leg muscles, IMHO. It is the knee, which is weirdly cut in two by a poor choice in the use of light. It also seems disproportionate to the figure. In any case, never got the appeal of Frazetta. He was a great illustrator, but his paintings pale compared to accomplished painters in the fine arts realm. We enjoy it because it tickles our fancy (and to be clear, I enjoy his pieces too), but I can't ever imagine paying that much for one of his paintings when much better things can be had at the same price in any Sotheby's or Christie's auctions.  

You: I never got the appeal of Frazetta

You: I enjoy his pieces too

Also, granted there are better paintings/ painters in the fine art world. But are there better fantasy/comic art paintings you'd prefer dollar for dollar? 

I'm just curious which ones you'd like?

This is not meant to goad you. It's just fascinating to me. It seems there are two camps. 1) everything Frazetta touches is a masterpiece or 2) 😑 MEH..... he's no (fill in fine artist of choice) in comparison or dismiss him in general as not worthy of standing in a fine art gallery with the well heeled foo foo art society.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:36 AM, bernoulli said:

I can't ever imagine paying that much for one of his paintings when much better things can be had at the same price in any Sotheby's or Christie's auctions.  

Much better fantasy art ? It's all subjective but we can and should at least try to categorise them. Comparing a rothko to a caravaggio makes little sense. In the world of fantasy art, frazetta would be in most pples top 3. 

On 4/22/2023 at 2:44 AM, grapeape said:

Also, granted there are better paintings/ painters in the fine art world. But are there better fantasy/comic art paintings you'd prefer dollar for dollar? 

This is not meant to goad you. It's just fascinating to me. It seems there are two camps. 1) everything Frazetta touches is a masterpiece or 2) 😑 MEH..... he's no (fill in fine artist of choice) in comparison or dismiss him in general as not worthy of standing in a fine art gallery with the well heeled foo foo art society.

Let me add a third category: the subject matter is overwrought for my taste, but he’s good at that. 

On 4/22/2023 at 2:44 AM, grapeape said:

It seems there are two camps. 1) everything Frazetta touches is a masterpiece or 2) 😑 MEH..... he's no (fill in fine artist of choice) in comparison or dismiss him in general as not worthy of standing in a fine art gallery

There is no paradox. Frazetta was an accomplished artist, whose skill we can appreciate and acknowledge. He was,  however, not a very original artist -- by his own admission, he swiped everything from comic books to magazines to fine art paintings, and thus falls short of inclusion into the higher category of fine art.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 4/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, KirbyCollector said:

There is no paradox. Frazetta was an accomplished artist, whose skill we can appreciate and acknowledge. He was,  however, not a very original artist -- by his own admission, he swiped everything from comic books to magazines to fine art paintings, and thus falls short of inclusion into the higher category of fine art.

Huh. And then there's Roy Lichtenstein.

This is not the ho hum auction like the last HA auction was, so we should get a better gauge of the market direction.

To add to the excitement of this auction, there is a lot of fresh to market Byrne/Austin X-Men and Starlord plus a wonderful Cap page… WOW! 

8B91B3DA-39D1-46FE-839F-32A67D5645BB.thumb.jpeg.6964dd965a204356838c1149a128c936.jpeg

A8066561-E143-40DE-8EFF-9FFA1CA0BCAC.thumb.jpeg.2b06a6b889521858f9acfa185cd3a1c4.jpeg2B416423-B38E-491A-9D2F-8AC8F927B41A.thumb.jpeg.d367006ad31b673b628ae87242cc0817.jpegD4C4A05F-E794-4FD2-86E9-FB57C3641A60.thumb.jpeg.f65d1127742874415cae08f2c7191594.jpeg

B65D5C13-7746-4B58-8F92-54AA7501FF07.thumb.jpeg.1dfa5a7ee1bb4f3146608a6f0814bce2.jpeg

Now that is pure Byrne goodness and should make the consigner(s) verrry happy!

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 4/22/2023 at 9:25 AM, Michael Browning said:

Huh. And then there's Roy Lichtenstein.

Yes, Roy used comic art -- but he had a meaning behind his usage. Frank did not.

https://www.phillips.com/article/2327842/theme-and-variation-a-parody-of-expressionism-by-roy-lichtenstein-and-andy-warhol

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 4/22/2023 at 4:41 AM, KirbyCollector said:

0lja509bs6xz.jpg

These guys look so tiny compared to the juiced up freakazoids that compete today.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:01 PM, tth2 said:

I'm digging the Frazetta hate.  If only collectors with deep pockets felt the same way! :frown:

To say a commercial artist painted beautifully but imbued his work with no greater meaning and never advanced art as a whole implies no hatred. It simply explains why he does not rise to the level of a Raphael or Titian.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 4/22/2023 at 1:44 AM, grapeape said:

I think personal taste always enters in to it.  Dollar for dollar, I'd rather have this from Michael Whelan than any Frazetta:

image.png.b0e7b167b33a216346cb8c9d6d5a29cb.png