• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get just a cover graded? (Cover is completely detached and all I have)

11 posts in this topic

I would assume you submit it like any other comic to be graded, and it's up to CGC to detect that there are no pages inside the cover during the grading process.

Of course, you might get lucky and they don't notice...

If you're looking for it to be assigned a numerical grade, you'll be out of luck.  If you're only looking for it to be certified (as original and unrestored) and encapsulated, submit it exactly as you would for any complete book of comparable vintage (publication date) and value.  :foryou:

CGC-CVR.thumb.png.b1d9aaf94f5f07ae7609bb09f45bbacf.png

Yah just submit it like normal.

but as with any non-normal submission, maybe contact cgc customer service directly to ensure you can get the specific service you are looking for.

an official answer from actual employees may be of more value to you than incomplete, wrong, outdated, conflicting, unsure answers you get from random internet strangers.  
cgc has phones and emails and social medias and a website

On 4/7/2023 at 9:54 PM, revat said:

an official answer from actual employees may be of more value to you than incomplete, wrong, outdated, conflicting, unsure answers you get from random internet strangers.  
cgc has phones and emails and social medias and a website

A lot of people are saying things like this in response to questions lately (or maybe it's just you saying it a lot), but it seems like if CGC also operates a forum like this one, with boards titled, "Newbie Questions," and stuff like that, that they are inviting people to post questions such as these to benefit from the community's knowledge.

As such, I wonder if discouraging people from utilizing it in that way is the best response.

Just a thought.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:57 AM, ExNihilo said:

Why would I want to have a cover graded?  Is there really any added value as opposed to just leaving it as is.

As you know, there are now dozens of 6-figure and 7-figure comics.  Collectors fortunate enough to hold a coverless-but-otherwise-complete copy of those issues may be willing to pony-up 4 or 5 figures for an attractive cover.  Having such a cover verified as all-original and unrestored would absolutely increase its market value (and by much more than the cost of CGC certification).  As an example, here's a nifty item one of our long-time members is currently offering:

CAC1-CVR.thumb.jpg.c3985236a73f2e039208e9fe42c46667.jpg CAC1-CVRb.thumb.jpg.75404f167513f6932d13e5e65d4d38c9.jpg

Would I spend $50~100 to get a cover to ASM #35 or Jimmy Olsen #35 certified?  Of course not.  (tsk)  How about a very lightly worn centerfold to Sensation Comics #1?  You bet!  (thumbsu  And I'd turn a profit by doing so!  :banana:

Edited by zzutak

On 4/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, zzutak said:

As you know, there are now dozens of 6-figure and 7-figure comics.  Collectors fortunate enough to hold a coverless-but-otherwise-complete copy of those issues may be willing to pony-up 4 or 5 figures for an attractive cover.  Having such a cover verified as all-original and unrestored would absolutely increase its market value (and by much more than the cost of CGC certification).  As an example, here's a nifty item one of our long-time members is currently offering:

CAC1-CVR.thumb.jpg.c3985236a73f2e039208e9fe42c46667.jpg CAC1-CVRb.thumb.jpg.75404f167513f6932d13e5e65d4d38c9.jpg

Would I spend $50~100 to get a cover to ASM #35 or Jimmy Olsen #35 certified?  Of course not.  (tsk)  How about a very lightly worn centerfold to Sensation Comics #1?  You bet!  (thumbsu  And I'd turn a profit by doing so!  :banana:

4 of 5 figures for a cover!?  Gad-zooks.