• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1, October or November 1939. How rare are the OCT dated copies?
3 3

213 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2024 at 2:58 PM, VintageComics said:

Let's examine this:

You're implying that it's all a rising market. I'm saying that 2021 was a unique market and should be viewed that way. 

The Extensive 2.0 November copy sold for the same as the Moderate 2.5 October copy.

If the October copy is the more desirable of the two, and it was higher grade, and it had less resto it actually should have sold for significantly more than the inferior November copy, but it didn't.

2021 was one of the largest, if not THE largest asset bubbles any of us have seen in our lifetimes and almost all assets have corrected since then. It was unique and you can't correlate what happened in 2021 to anything today. That's all I'm saying. 

Marvel #1 is my favorite book of all time and has been for 40 years. Why would I talk it down?

I just don't like it when people pump markets. If a market only goes up and never corrects, that's not a good thing. It's really bad because it means the correction will be much worse when it happens. 

It's a big book, but no market is impervious to corrections and EVERY book corrected including the largest keys like Tec #27, and Marvel #1 is no different. 

(me and Primetime last year)

Primetime.png

Can’t tell if it’s an October or November copy. :deadhorse:

On 9/3/2024 at 9:28 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 8/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, VintageComics said:

What if I already have one? :devil:

Perhaps it's lonely. 

What if it has a companion? :devil:

On 8/21/2024 at 10:52 AM, VintageComics said:

2021 was a unique time for all asset prices (not just comic books) and should be viewed that way.  

CBCS  extensive amateur 2.5  October Cop

sold 144k

Sold November 2023

CGC 7.0   moderate restored

sold 228k

I think that OCTober copies are bucking the trend. Like the stock market index. We cant compare individual stocks that dont follow the trend of an index.

I was stating that October copies the topic of the thread  should sell for 150-200k  and might go to 250k. The ground floor for getting in a November or October is 150k.  Owning a 1.0 unrestored vs 2.0 restored moderated makes the decision easily  favored to the 1.0 

Being an unrestored. The last that sold is this same one in 2018  before the 1.26 million dollar sale i  2019 of the november 9.4  bringing back.

Also Marvel Mystery Comics 4  and 9 has been on the rise📈

To say the prices have fallen for  Marvel 1 October copies is incorrect.

Thanks sorry about posting it

Heres the 7.0 CGC resto moderate that Roy is right sold lower than it should. It was an off auction for heritage. I think should have sold jace sold for 300k ish. So i concede

IMG_7479.png

On 9/11/2024 at 12:21 PM, zen514 said:

Thanks sorry about posting it

Heres the 7.0 CGC resto moderate that Roy is right sold lower than it should. It was an off auction for heritage. I think should have sold jace sold for 300k ish. So i concede

So if it went cheap, it was an "off auction" and not market price but if it went for too much then it's market price.  

Spaghetti logic. 

On 9/11/2024 at 9:37 AM, zen514 said:

CBCS  extensive amateur 2.5  October Cop

sold 144k

Sold November 2023

CGC 7.0   moderate restored

sold 228k

I think that OCTober copies are bucking the trend. Like the stock market index. We cant compare individual stocks that dont follow the trend of an index.

I was stating that October copies the topic of the thread  should sell for 150-200k  and might go to 250k. The ground floor for getting in a November or October is 150k.  Owning a 1.0 unrestored vs 2.0 restored moderated makes the decision easily  favored to the 1.0 

Being an unrestored. The last that sold is this same one in 2018  before the 1.26 million dollar sale i  2019 of the november 9.4  bringing back.

Also Marvel Mystery Comics 4  and 9 has been on the rise📈

To say the prices have fallen for  Marvel 1 October copies is incorrect.

I didn't say October copies have fallen. I said the entire market has fallen. 

There are exceptions to the rule, and I'm generalizing but you'll have a hard time finding anyone disagreeing. 

There's a relationship between prices for most books. October copies don't stand on their own, against logic. They're not islands that are impervious to market forces.

They're a small body of water in a much larger body of water.

For October copies, there's a relationship between what November and October copies sell for, just like there's a relationship between what lower and higher grades sell for. There's some fluidity to that relationship, but that relationship doesn't contradict the laws of nature, especially human nature. 

There's a relationship between what Action #1 and Detective #27 sell for. There's a relationship between what Marvel #1 and those 2 DCs sell for. There's a relationship between the 2 x Marvel #1's. 

October is not in a class of it's own compared to all the other comics around it. It moves along the same tide, in the same body of water as the rest of the hobby. 

For example, I don't believe a Marvel #1 is ever going to be worth more than Action #1. Even though it's my favorite book, I don't think it ever should be worth more than an Action #1.

You're obviously pumping the book. 

Do you own a copy? Or several? :wink:

On 9/11/2024 at 6:01 PM, VintageComics said:

So if it went cheap, it was an "off auction" and not market price but if it went for too much then it's market price.  

Spaghetti logic. 

There are exceptions to the rule, and I'm generalizing but you'll have a hard time finding anyone disagreeing. 

There's a relationship between prices for most books. October copies don't stand on their own, against logic. They're not islands that are impervious to market forces.

For October copies, there's a relationship between what November and October copies sell for, just like there's a relationship between what lower and higher grades sell for. There's some fluidity to that relationship, but that relationship doesn't contradict the laws of nature, especially human nature. 

There's a relationship between what Action #1 and Detective #27 sell for. There's a relationship between what Marvel #1 and those 2 DCs sell for. There's a relationship between the 2 x Marvel #1's. 

October is not in a class of it's own compared to all the other comics around it. It moves along the same tide, in the same body of water as the rest of the hobby. 

For example, I don't believe a Marvel #1 is ever going to be worth more than Action #1. Even though it's my favorite book, I don't think it ever should be worth more than an Action #1.

I own an October copy jean jacket😄

On 9/11/2024 at 11:51 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Problem with October copies is that there are not enough unrestored copies or even high grade copies to set a proper market for them. There must be raw copies buried in some of these old time collections somewhere. 

Im pretty sure the highest is The Nic cage 6.0  unrestored that Gator mentioned saying he knew of.

Coming from Rick thats alot.

the 20/1 ratio of l November copies holds true.  I only know 3 unrestored October Copies 

The unrestored vs restored within the restored October copies are rarer than hen’s teeth. 

Collector’s are only starting to catching on of its rarety

Last sale public on not public was in 2018 of the 1.0 comic-connect copy

Edited by zen514

On 9/11/2024 at 6:01 PM, VintageComics said:

Spaghetti logic. 

IMG_7519.jpeg

On 9/13/2024 at 8:18 AM, zen514 said:

IMG_7519.jpeg

@VintageComics

Action Comics 12 has risen 📈steadly and not affected by the 2021-22 prices

There are many hype Covid books.  Silver age keys, bronze age, copper

But golden age hype books were Batman 1 , Captain 1band Superman 1.

They were in every auction on multiples. Marvel Comics 1 is for connoisseurs

its called reversal of the mean. Which I agree with. Continuous price growth that follows inflation is the norm.

I never said that Marvel 1 should be worth as much as Action Comics 1.  

Half as much yes. Thats why a  fugly cgc blue 0.5 sold  for  408k  no back cover

I think this unrestored 1.0  should sell for around 200k

IMG_7547.jpeg

IMG_7548.jpeg

Edited by zen514