• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1, October or November 1939. How rare are the OCT dated copies?

14 posts in this topic

I remember when I was a kid and bought the 1983 Comics book price guide they had an article about finding an Oct 1939 copy and how rare it was.

I could only find one in the Heritage Auction archive, but to be honest I didn't spend a great deal of time looking.

Based on the condition this one sold for $52,580.  Does anyone know if any super high grade copies have sold with the OCT date?

Marvel_1.jpg

On 4/9/2023 at 12:30 AM, Shield said:

I remember when I was a kid and bought the 1983 Comics book price guide they had an article about finding an Oct 1939 copy and how rare it was.

I could only find one in the Heritage Auction archive, but to be honest I didn't spend a great deal of time looking.

Based on the condition this one sold for $52,580.  Does anyone know if any super high grade copies have sold with the OCT date?

Marvel_1.jpg

I think this 2017 ha.com sale was the last public sale. October copy first and rarest editions.

Many NOV have sold since.

On 4/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, Drgoldage said:

image.thumb.jpg.2616d775be730107192ef2ce6ff50199.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.cb766c8184c23ac5427f8fb306db6625.jpgI only have one comic in a fortress protector . It was late 1990s and had always wanted a marvel comics 1, who wouldn’t,when this one came available from a major dealer and I bought it . I didn’t negotiate we both knew it would sell for the price offered just a matter of time .I really didn’t care if it was a October or November copy but was pleased to find the prominent Oct upper right corner . Still have it here is the picture not sure how many there are but happy to have even this one .

Great book.

I would think all the great Golden age I have sold you for 30 plus years you would at least sell me this copy Jeff? :whistle:

Harold ,old buddy , will keep my eye’s peeled for another Marvel 1 for you but if push came to shove:wishluck: I bet you want an Action 2 even more ! I am still planning on hanging on to this book for a while longer couldn’t afford to replace at todays price’s. 

On 4/16/2023 at 8:40 AM, Drgoldage said:

Harold ,old buddy , will keep my eye’s peeled for another Marvel 1 for you but if push came to shove:wishluck: I bet you want an Action 2 even more ! I am still planning on hanging on to this book for a while longer couldn’t afford to replace at todays price’s. 

I do want Action 2. I had to settle for this so that 1 is looking a lot better now. I do have a Marvel 1 coverless missing last page so you would just be down grading. :idea:image.thumb.jpeg.434091e423ec1be5b65987ca96199aa2.jpeg

On 4/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, Drgoldage said:

image.thumb.jpg.2616d775be730107192ef2ce6ff50199.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.cb766c8184c23ac5427f8fb306db6625.jpgI only have one comic in a fortress protector . It was late 1990s and had always wanted a marvel comics 1, who wouldn’t,when this one came available from a major dealer and I bought it . I didn’t negotiate we both knew it would sell for the price offered just a matter of time .I really didn’t care if it was a October or November copy but was pleased to find the prominent Oct upper right corner . Still have it here is the picture not sure how many there are but happy to have even this one .

good on you for keeping it 30 years

On 4/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, Drgoldage said:

:takeit:

Lol I will have everyone keep their arms and legs …to tell the truth though I skipped a few tasty meals when I bought this , good thing I liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I had an often times irritated but ultimately understanding spouse that let me do this … she can cash out at the bank when the time comes