• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #96 9.8 or Action #4 8.0, which is a better investment?

100 posts in this topic

I just semi-recently started collecting the run but it's something that will span decades I'm sure so I'm in no rush.

In response to the other post. Initially I wanted to collect the detective run but from what I understand another collector owns most of the early mile high's for one. Also there is something special about Superman and the action run. The idea of Seigel and Shuster as young guys coming up with a character that would in essence invent the comic culture of the 20th century. The #1 issue being the "holy grail" of comics. His embodyment of the golden age generation of this country's (40's) moral, ethical and patriotic views. There is something in my mind and the mind of my father who I collect with that Superman is the greatest of all superheroes. I do love the other runs of the golden age and the characters that came along but I never have felt the satisfaction buying single issues of different characters (although I still do this) than the search to complete the run of just one.

You are off to a great start with these runs! One day I want to have a full run of Actions from 1-700 (700 was the last Action that I had bought off the newstand. For me, Actions end there). I am currently not that far off from having the full run of 400-700 but don't have a single issue pre 400. (Ever see my About Me page?)

Right now I am spending more time / energy / and money on Batman. He's my favorite character and Batman books are both more affordable and more available than either Action or Detective.

I'm pretty young yet, but if my finances in the future allow me to, I would love to get the full run of those three titles.

Keep me posted as the collection progresses - I love looking at those beautiful books!!

DAM

I changed my mind, I'm putting it up with a resonable reserve and see what happens. I might not get the #4 being the Heritage July auction is looming on the horizon and something will likely come along.

I'm pretty late to all this so i will answer your initial question.

GET THE ACTION#4!!! The other issue will definatly lower in value as the days go by with other high grades popping up on the census and people slow down on the ultra high grade craze and finding an Action#4 in high grade is just going to get harder and harder as those same days go on. Also, it's just so damned cool, that cover makes me proud to be Canadian.

Hope you get it. And good luck on the auction, I'm sure you'll get a whack'o doe for it.

'best

Bronzejunkie

why the private auction? since you have a reserve, the private auction really shouldn't benefit you in any way.

plus, you deny yourself the benefit of any bid-enhancing shill bidding that always go with such auctions.

if i had enough money to boot, i'd definitely make a run at your comic.

I'm not as experienced with ebay like some on the boards but my idea going in was that people would want their identity revealed. I don't know if this is too conservative but was just the way I thought bidders would want it.

I would keep the MH. I would buy it from you if I had the dough, though.

As others have pointed out, it's a one-of-a-kind. While Action #4 is probably ridiculously rare in 8.0 Unrestored, there IS a chance another one will show up. I really doubt another Action 96 will show up in 9.8 and certainly no more MH copies of 96 will ever show up.

I always wanted a run of Actions from 1 to current. But I realized pretty soon that there was no way I was going to afford the early ones. So I am concentrating on 250 up, and I'm doing mostly upgrades on those now. So maybe I can move down to 200 up.

When I first stated with this Action was barely into the 400s, so it didn't seem like a hard thing to get 250 up. But the high grade ones aren't out there for sale, except at places like PCE where they're out of the stratosphere.

Good luck with you're task!

Mr. Glass.

I used to own the Mile High copy of Action #96 it is a great book. I owned 31 Mile High Actions from #25-102, and #96 is one of the 10 I kept longest, selling off the other 21 first. I hope you take good care of it!

Timely

Seeing the run I built was quite impressive to all who saw them, along with the 100 other DC MH's I had at the time. I made perfect color xeroxes of all the books so I can still enjoy them...from a far.

Timely

I owned the Batman #28 and #41 Mile Highs. The only Superman MH I ever saw was the Superman #1 (Fine restored) and #4, it was a VF copy.

Timely

was the Superman #1 CGC graded at Fine/restored?

Beschara bought it infamously years ago for $240 K....thats quite a price for a Fine!