• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Kane art - Real or Replica?

35 posts in this topic

Found it. Not much to it, really:

---------------------------------------

10/11/04 - Stromm Posted:

Its a photo of the page, 18x20, on heavy paper of some sort.

I got some scans somewhere, just got to find them

its a large file

pic

found the rest

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

Follow-up:

I have been searching off and on for about 3 years now for information on this artwork

I acquired it while visiting my parents in Las Vegas.

My parents lived/worked at a self storage facility there. It was

with some items in a self storage unit that was left/tossed by the renter.

It measures 18" across and 22" tall, it was rolled in a tube. The

paper is brittle and discolored as in the photo. It is stored flat now. It is a pencil

drawing, maybe charcoal of a sorts. It looks to be an original piece of work, the paper is not the blue line stuff sold today. the paper is relativity thick by today's standards. It looks like a piece of canvas to me and it looks like the orange "tint?"

was added after the drawing was done. Maybe to protect the pencils?

There is a untinted area around the sketch, like a border of sorts,

about an inch and a half wide. You can see part of it in the pictures.

In Wizard #135, on page 86, at the bottom there is a picture of a piece of art work depecting the origin of Batman.(same one I have).

Any help would be appreciated.

I followed up with:

Did you ever try and find out who owned the storage facility befor your parents? How would they have acquired such a piece? Did Bob Kane ever live in Vegas? etc.....

-----------------------------

This is why published pieces command more money than non-published items.

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/HNAI/300/806/806062029o.jpg

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/HNAI/300/810/810014016o.jpg

And imho they are pretty cheap.

KK

Agreed but a bit off topic, don't you think? You got an idea how to verify this, KK? I was going to suggest contacting the source for the above mention article. See if he knows the whereabouts of the piece and trace provenance from there.

Agreed but a bit off topic, don't you think?

gossip.gif KK only sees things from a $ standpoint. gossip.gif

Not true. I am just not ASHAMED of my GREED.

Greed is good.

Greed clarifies.

........ 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

and why cant you have simultaneous viewpoints ? You are such a simpleton.

kk

Agreed but a bit off topic, don't you think? You got an idea how to verify this, KK?

We could verify that it's actual artwork for a start.

Well, from one of the scans we see box lines in what appears to be graphite or light pen. The thickness of the lines is not consistent. Tells me lines are hand drawn. In my opinion, this confirms the orange application is at least hand made. The "drawing" appear consistent with article the guys have. Interestingly, the picture in article has less definition than what this guy has. The lines seem strong on the "drawing" while the article picture shows less definition. As if the picture in article were produced from copy made of original. So I believe, determining provenance would be more effective in this case. Otherwise, send it to an expert to have them do the dirty work.

Agreed but a bit off topic, don't you think? You got an idea how to verify this, KK?

We could verify that it's actual artwork for a start.

Well, from one of the scans we see box lines in what appears to be graphite or light pen. The thickness of the lines is not consistent. Tells me lines are hand drawn.

Unless, of course, it's a reproduction of hand drawn lines insane.gif

Interestingly, the picture in article has less definition than what this guy has. The lines seem strong on the "drawing" while the article picture shows less definition. As if the picture in article were produced from copy made of original.

Or simply scanned, shrunk, lightened to present a better "black and white" representation and then printed at much lower resolution. confused-smiley-013.gif

It could be real. Sure. I just look at it and I see a "sketch" drawn on a huge, expensive piece of Arches watercolor paper (often used in printmaking), that just happens to be "extremely yellowed" everywhere but on the borders (that just happen to be perfect margins for framing!) and the all important image area. That makes me skeptical.

1005698-drouet2.jpg.1692b7ba1d61b56d37abb2136ccdd33b.jpg

Ask the guy, if they are hand drawn or not. Geez, you can keep trying to verify it isn't a print but the provenance route should go very quick. If we locate the original and it is still there guess what? It's not the original.

Ask the guy, if they are hand drawn or not. Geez, you can keep trying to verify it isn't a print but the provenance route should go very quick. If we locate the original and it is still there guess what? It's not the original.

Tracing provenance just seems like overkill to me when we don't even know if it's actually a piece of artwork. Plus I'm just spending some brainpower on the question, arguing for the sake of thinking about the subject.

When was the article printed ? Was there a market for the item at the time the story came out ?

I believe the scan say cbm #137. You can go from there to find out the date. Far as market for the piece in the article. Who knows? Though, I think I can see where you are going with this.

For the sake of argument, let me outline what we're trying to figure out here:

"Was the priceless ORIGNAL sketch of Batman done in 1934 drawn on expensive watercolor paper, then, at some point rolled up and forgotten in a self storage facility in Las Vegas."

Forgive me for erring on the side of caution on that one grin.gif