• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Kane art - Real or Replica?

35 posts in this topic

Its not that I am taking it at face value. The strong lines up the bat-cape have me going either way. That's why talking to the article author would be informative. He could give a description of the original, if he saw it or verify they used a copy for the article. Which would help you proceed to the next step.

My parents lived in an apartment on the grounds of a large storage facility, Green River storage if I remember right, one of dads duties was to clean out vacated units. This was found in one of them, with some other items. We have no idea who the renter was. It is not a photo copy, nor is it in inks.(17x22 - from memory). It is pencil or charcoal? it is easily smeared. The article is from Wizard 135, I have the complete article if you want it posted, It's basically about how Bill F. got cheated. I only posted it because it had a picture of the artwork. I tried contacting Wizard, but was never answered. LMK if you have anymore questions, sorry I missed them the first time round.

ALSO,

I don't beleive it is the original either , mabey something Kane did in his later years to recreate his creation of Batman? I did look at some of his other art and noticed he signed them "BOB Kane", also 1934 is a couple years early, and the handwriting is similar to "elderly" handwriting. (what my dads, 85 years old, writing looks like).

ANYWAY, I do appricate any information and opinions.

thanks

My parents lived in an apartment on the grounds of a large storage facility, Green River storage if I remember right, one of dads duties was to clean out vacated units. This was found in one of them, with some other items. We have no idea who the renter was. It is not a photo copy, nor is it in inks.(17x22 - from memory). It is pencil or charcoal? it is easily smeared. The article is from Wizard 135, I have the complete article if you want it posted, It's basically about how Bill F. got cheated. I only posted it because it had a picture of the artwork. I tried contacting Wizard, but was never answered. LMK if you have anymore questions, sorry I missed them the first time round.

ALSO,

I don't beleive it is the original either , mabey something Kane did in his later years to recreate his creation of Batman? I did look at some of his other art and noticed he signed them "BOB Kane", also 1934 is a couple years early, and the handwriting is similar to "elderly" handwriting. (what my dads, 85 years old, writing looks like).

ANYWAY, I do appricate any information and opinions.

thanks

How long have you been in possession of the item ? Are you sure you have legal title wink.gif ?

Agreed but a bit off topic, don't you think?

gossip.gif KK only sees things from a $ standpoint. gossip.gif

Not true. I am just not ASHAMED of my GREED.

Greed is good.

Greed clarifies.

........ 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

and why cant you have simultaneous viewpoints ?

I do have simultaneous viewpoints, it's you who's overriding view in every post you write is based on money or "value".

Okay, finally dug up my copy of the 1989 Kane autobio Batman and Me. Yes, this is in there.

The accompanying description: "Inspired by Leonardo da Vinci's flying machine, I created my first experimental sketches of a bat-man when I was 13. I was fascinated by the idea of a man who could fly. Note the drawings I made of Leonardo's other inventions, the parachute and the helicopter."

Perhaps a long shot, but you might ask Bob Beerbohm if he knows anything about the piece. He is listed in the acknowledgements of the book. And it occurs to me that if this piece was known to be out there, knowledge of it may have started to spread on the early fandom/convention scene, just as with the famous Joe Simon Captain America original design sketch.

Okay, finally dug up my copy of the 1989 Kane autobio Batman and Me. Yes, this is in there.

The accompanying description: "Inspired by Leonardo da Vinci's flying machine, I created my first experimental sketches of a bat-man when I was 13. I was fascinated by the idea of a man who could fly. Note the drawings I made of Leonardo's other inventions, the parachute and the helicopter."

Perhaps a long shot, but you might ask Bob Beerbohm if he knows anything about the piece. He is listed in the acknowledgements of the book. And it occurs to me that if this piece was known to be out there, knowledge of it may have started to spread on the early fandom/convention scene, just as with the famous Joe Simon Captain America original design sketch.

Yes I think that is where Wizard got their photo.

I wonder if Kane did this artwork for the book? A recreation of sorts? Was he alive when the book was published or compiled? As for ownership, It was abandoned property. confused-smiley-013.gif I have had it since 1999 I think, I have to ask Dad what years he was in Vegas as I don't remember.

I would like to hear about the Capt. sketch.

Was he alive when the book was published or compiled?

Yes, he passed away in 1998, I believe.

I would like to hear about the Capt. sketch.

Here's a recreation of it:

http://www.allstarauc.com/asonline/images/auction13/337-13.jpg

It's the original Cap design piece. What makes the original piece even cooler is that it has a note from Simon to Marvel publisher Martin Goodman saying something like, "here's the character, I think we'll give him a sidekick too," or something like that.

I believe I've read somewhere that it was owned by 70's-era NY-area convention and direct market pioneer Phil Seuling back in the day. It's always been my impression that it became a relatively well-known piece back then.