• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink 4/15 thoughts and assessments
3 3

48 posts in this topic

I think it’s a bit premature to determine if the ‘price correction’ is here,  Based on what!?! One Ill-advertised Clink auction containing C and D-level pages?

need more data points from a few more auctions containing decent material.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 4/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think it’s a bit premature to determine if the ‘price correction’ is here,  Based on what!?! One Ill-advertised Clink auction containing C and D-level pages?

This is the point -- C and D level pages have been bid ever higher since covid but interest appears to have slackened for this material on all platforms over the past 4-5 months. Whatever you want to call it, something is going on.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, KirbyCollector said:

This is the point -- C and D level pages have been bid ever higher since covid but interest appears to have slackened for this material on all platforms over the past 4-5 months. Whatever you want to call it, something is going on.

I think everyone is taking notice, it’s a relief to see prices that seem to be heading in a more reasonable direction… it might not last, but for now we have a bit of hope!

On 4/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Bill C said:

Comiclink should have a section on their main page promoting their business, consisting of several quotes from past buyers. "...see what satisfied customers are saying!" It would be so killer if quotes like these were what filled the section up.

Or…someone could grab the CominlinkRulez.com url and then just fill it with quotes attributed to original sources and jam it up with Google Adsense clickbait 😉

On 4/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, timguerrero said:

I'll guess I'll be testing this in the coming months as i sent a big batch of items to Heritage and I am expecting the total results to surpass the estimated value I got from Heritage by about 20% of the lower value I was given.

Why not put the pages up for sale on CAF (or here) at that lower bound +20% price first? I would be far more inclined to buy a page at FMV if BP was not included, and I am certain I not alone in that.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:50 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Why not put the pages up for sale on CAF (or here) at that lower bound +20% price first? I would be far more inclined to buy a page at FMV if BP was not included, and I am certain I not alone in that.

Because then it’s not fresh to market and if it doesn’t sell for the price you asked odds are at heritage it would go lower because it was just listed cheaper… huge risk 

On 4/16/2023 at 11:47 AM, Dirtcheap31 said:

Because then it’s not fresh to market and if it doesn’t sell for the price you asked odds are at heritage it would go lower because it was just listed cheaper… huge risk 

Exactly. I love CAF, but it doesn't have the selling power of HA with its massive audience. I told a guy the other day after he listed a cover on eBay three times -- and putting in the listing that he has an offer for $2500 on it so he listed it as the starting bid -- that I'd almost bet he doesn't have that $2500 offer now that it hasn't sold in a month and three listings. Now, I think he'd be lucky to get $750 out of it because it has sat for weeks UNSOLD at a price he said he had an offer and it creates doubt in collectors' minds and it is about as fresh to market as a month-old salmon at a fish market.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, Michael Browning said:

Exactly. I love CAF, but it doesn't have the selling power of HA with its massive audience. I told a guy the other day after he listed a cover on eBay three times -- and putting in the listing that he has an offer for $2500 on it so he listed it as the starting bid -- that I'd almost bet he doesn't have that $2500 offer now that it hasn't sold in a month and three listings. Now, I think he'd be lucky to get $750 out of it because it has sat for weeks UNSOLD at a price he said he had an offer and it creates doubt in collectors' minds and it is about as fresh to market as a month-old salmon at a fish market.

Frankly, I have heard this “fresh to market” comment made quite a few times, but it really isn’t fish. Pieces have a general range in value based on the artist, book run, characters and action. With rare exceptions, most pricing can be interpolated. I’m perfectly comfortable with 3 week old flounder if the price is right and it fills a gap in my wish list.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:47 AM, MagnusX said:

This was a collector friendly auction.
there was something for everyone with a small budget. 

This is a sample 
Fantastic Four # 56 page 15

The Thing battles Powderkeg by STUART IMMONEN
$ 385.00

RADEE641202338_122957.thumb.jpg.fbb6cc86031dfc61baee0cb441e9df0c.jpg

I won this page with a bid I put in before leaving the house. Pretty happy. Also won the Walking Dead page for a bargain I felt with all of the main characters in it. 

On 4/16/2023 at 6:24 PM, Xatari said:

I think I we are seeing some normal stabilization with the intersection of pieces that aren’t in the same tier to which we have become accustomed. 

Your unedited post had merit... not sure what you found wrong with it

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 4/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, Grant Turner said:

Did anyone win anything in yesterday’s ComicLink auction?

any thoughts about prices yesterday and what they suggest about the state of the hobby?

I was on vacation and forgot about the auction. :sorry: 

There were a few low-rent pieces that I would definitely have pushed higher and maybe won. :cry: 

I feel like there are improvements C-link could make that buyers really want that would help their results, but they either are too stubborn or too lazy to make those changes.

I also know a few collectors who said C-link wasn't interested in auctioning their art and then I look at the junk in the second half of their auctions and I am completely confused. The second session of a C-link auction night almost always looks like they raided the amateur stuff on eBay for their listings.

Edited by Michael Browning

On 4/16/2023 at 1:34 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Frankly, I have heard this “fresh to market” comment made quite a few times, but it really isn’t fish. Pieces have a general range in value based on the artist, book run, characters and action. With rare exceptions, most pricing can be interpolated. I’m perfectly comfortable with 3 week old flounder if the price is right and it fills a gap in my wish list.

I have always agreed with this sentiment and even argued with people about how "fresh to market" doesn't affect sales prices -- until these auctions started heating up and I saw people getting so excited about art they hadn't seen in year or at all and watching the prices go sky high as a result. I think there is a bit of excitement around a piece that comes up for auction that hasn't been seen in years and it maybe pushes the results a higher.