• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know this buyer?

18 posts in this topic

Hi all! I've just been offered a decent amount for my commissioned artwork on Comic Art Fans. He's in Cudahy, WI. A. Williams. I'm not getting any bad vibes from the buyer but I want to be sure it's above board.

Edited by Kahnadah

Just get your money up front. And when it's time to ship make sure you collect enough to get full insurance on the package you send.

I personally have no business dealings with A. Williams. Is he also on CAF? Has he been on there awhile or did he just show up with a new profile?

If it is the A Williams with the first art in the upper left a Luis Royo and then a Greg Williams as the second art in the featured area, then I can absolutely vouch for the person. 

Edited by Peter L

On 4/14/2023 at 6:54 PM, grapeape said:

Just get your money up front. And when it's time to ship make sure you collect enough to get full insurance on the package you send.

I personally have no business dealings with A. Williams. Is he also on CAF? Has he been on there awhile or did he just show up with a new profile?

I'm getting a cheque. That should be ok, shouldn't it? He's been on CAF for about a year.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, Peter L said:

If it is the A Williams with the first art in the upper left a Luis Royo and then a Greg Williams as the second art in the featured area, then I can absolutely vouch for the person. 

That's the person! This has put my mind at ease. Thanks!

I've taken checks but only from well known collectors to me. I see you have one board member who vouches for the guy. Maybe PM Peter L and ask him about his experience with A Williams. Good luck to you. You know banks have electronic services like Zelle to transfer money. You also have paypal but fees and rules apply.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:37 PM, grapeape said:

I've taken checks but only from well known collectors to me.

What's the risk on a check if you've waited until it's cleared?

On 4/15/2023 at 9:37 AM, grapeape said:

I've taken checks but only from well known collectors to me. I see you have one board member who vouches for the guy. Maybe PM Peter L and ask him about his experience with A Williams. Good luck to you. You know banks have electronic services like Zelle to transfer money. You also have paypal but fees and rules apply.

I wouldn’t trust Zelle, Venmo or similar systems. If you get cheated, or accidentally send money to the wrong recipient, you are out of luck. I think checks are safer. Just wait at least 7 days before sending anything (even better to ask the bank to see if the check cleared). Seven days is likely longer than the law requires, but some banks ignore the law and keep the “float” for a few extra days before crediting your account.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:47 AM, grapeape said:

I'm retired from banking. It all depends on what "cleared" means to you. Unfortunately, if you ask your teller at the bank they'll tell you a check is cleared the moment they see your funds made available. However the bank makes funds available to many customers before actually getting paid on a check. That means misunderstanding "cleared" could cost you if the bank does not get paid and reverses your transaction. The word cleared is misused by customers and bank employees all the time, sadly.

That's why I say take checks but "know" the check writer, because ultimately the bank will hold you responsible if the check doesn't pay. Here's just one scenario. You wait seven days after a check is cleared before sending art to a client out of an abundance of caution. A month goes by. Suddenly you notice a reversal in your bank account. Turns out that yes the check you deposited did actually clear. But it turns out the check was written off the account of someone other than your client. The good funds that allowed the check to clear belonged to someone else. That person makes a fraud claim and the bank investigates. The bank determines the "cleared" check was fraudulent/unauthorized and returns funds to the victim. In turn they go back to your account and retrieve those check "cleared" funds. You did nothing wrong but you are out of the money "paid" to you for the art you've sent. The bank always holds you, the depositor accountable for items deposited. A bank can even close your account if you deposit a bad check. My 2 cents. I can argue this all day but I hope I don't have to.

I am only saying know who you're dealing with before accepting payment on their terms. If you feel confident taking a check have at it. Good fortune to all.

In your opinion, how long should I wait before I send the artwork out? Is there an average time it takes to have his bank pay mine? I'm going to ask when I deposit it, but now I'm a little worried. It's not an amount I can easily repay.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:28 PM, Kahnadah said:

In your opinion, how long should I wait before I send the artwork out? Is there an average time it takes to have his bank pay mine? I'm going to ask when I deposit it, but now I'm a little worried. It's not an amount I can easily repay.

You're in Canada  - he's in the US - you're dealing with two different currencies and two different countries.  Based on my experience dealing with this exact situation, your bank is probably going to tell you 30 business days give or take.

1.  Ask your bank NOW - not when you deposit it.  The reason being is that you'll need to advise the purchaser ASAP that there's going to be a delay due to the fact that his cheque has to clear before you send.  He could well be under the impression that you're going to ship as soon as you deposit his cheque.  He's not going to want to hear that he has to wait 30 days after you've deposited the cheque,

2.  Ask your bank your bank to explain the exact process to you in case they can't/won't pin it down.  Then you can relay that to the buyer.

3.  "A.  Williams" has a first name - make sure that you know what it is.  Also phone number and street address (as opposed to a P.O. Box).

4.  Find out about insurance ASAP - some carriers may well have a maximum amount of insurance that you can buy.  

On 4/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, Kahnadah said:

Listen. The most important thing is how comfortable do you feel interacting with the buyer.

What I used to do as a banker is call the bank the check was written on and speak to contacts I knew at that bank. I think you wait 7 business days than ask your banker to request from the buyers bank if the check has "paid and cleared." This doesn't always work as banks have privacy policies to follow. But experienced bankers usually have a contact at a competing bank.

Now if it's true you are in Canada funds over "$5000" are considered as drafts and it's true I've seen collection of funds take as much as 30 days.

Again PayPal is an option but not friends and family you have to mark as a business transaction and there are fees. But it gives you some protection and usually money is made available to you quickly.

Don't be afraid just slow things down and ask questions of your experienced bank manager.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:10 PM, grapeape said:

Listen. The most important thing is how comfortable do you feel interacting with the buyer.

What I used to do as a banker is call the bank the check was written on and speak to contacts I knew at that bank. I think you wait 7 business days than ask your banker to request from the buyers bank if the check has "paid and cleared." This doesn't always work as banks have privacy policies to follow. But experienced bankers usually have a contact at a competing bank.

Now if it's true you are in Canada funds over "$5000" are considered as drafts and it's true I've seen collection of funds take as much as 30 days.

Again PayPal is an option but not friends and family you have to mark as a business transaction and there are fees. But it gives you some protection and usually money is made available to you quickly.

Don't be afraid just slow things down and ask questions of your experienced bank manager.

So, a request for certified funds or bank draft should be required?

On 4/16/2023 at 6:44 AM, RBerman said:

This looks like a legit (and well heeled) collector.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=175395

Looks can be deceiving.  I've seen "well heeled" turn into "heel" more than once.  

One should treat every transaction like boxing - protect yourself at all times.  

Edited by pemart1966

On 4/16/2023 at 3:44 AM, RBerman said:

This looks like a legit (and well heeled) collector.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=175395

Probably is. Here's the thing. Don't forget we have a regular poster here who bought a $5K page from an established CAF member who had a record of selling and buying art without issue.

Until it went wrong. Our regular poster paid but never saw the art. So always be careful.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:25 PM, grapeape said:

Probably is. Here's the thing. Don't forget we have a regular poster here who bought a $5K page from an established CAF member who had a record of selling and buying art without issue.

Until it went wrong. Our regular poster paid but never saw the art. So always be careful.

Was there a thread made on that incident or was it a private conversation?

On 4/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, JC25427N said:

Was there a thread made on that incident or was it a private conversation?

Yea. It was the dealer Glen Brunswick who had a CAF member go rogue on him, absconding with his funds without sending the art. If I can find the link I'll attach it.

On 4/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, grapeape said:

Yea. It was the dealer Glen Brunswick who had a CAF member go rogue on him, absconding with his funds without sending the art. If I can find the link I'll attach it.

Yes, this one here.

Niederberger has not logged into CAF since March 2022.

Edited by RBerman