• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Announces Price and Policy Changes
9 9

155 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2023 at 4:16 PM, JollyComics said:

Or my collection can be inherited.

I would really like to have a second piece of property / vacation home that I could know others are enjoying rather than boxes of newsprint.   That would bring me far greater joy. 

On 4/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

CGC increased Modern max value from $200 to $400 during covid during the 2021 price hike.  Most moderns arent worth close to that number to be honest or worth your time and money to get graded.  If people in this hobby actually knew what they were doing CGC could lay off half their work force.  Too many modern books graded by CGC belong in the trash can.

you are correct I forgot about this, however $400 is still too low, coming from someone who doesn't typically submit books after 1988 or so.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:16 PM, ramrodcar said:

you are correct I forgot about this, however $400 is still too low, coming from someone who doesn't typically submit books after 1988 or so.

Most books from 1975-now really dont go over $400 value.  Point being unless you have Uber modern keys modern tier is fine for the vast majority of moderns books from 1975-now.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:35 AM, JollyComics said:

It’s going to be my last membership after the renewal this month. I will pick all key issues to be graded for the last time. I am done.  They killed fun and enjoyable collectibles. 

Quick question, how does this kill enjoying comic collecting for you? I know people who have many CGC books in their collection, and they have never submitted a comic book in their life to CGC.

Most of this is more it kills some more of my profit margin. lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 4/18/2023 at 4:16 PM, greggy said:

What is the royalty agreementÉ

As much as I love this guy he’s still my second favorite Canadian on the show. 

On 4/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Quick question, how does this kill enjoying comic collecting for you? I know people who have many CGC books in their collection, and they have never submitted a comic book in their life to CGC.

Most of this is more it kills some more of my profit margin. lol

No, it didn't kill my enjoyment of my comic book collection.  CGC took fun out of it.  I don't enjoy overpaying CGC's service and many unexcused errors/unreliability and they didn't hire me for the job (I would love to help them out during the crazy time) or invite me to their CGC Academy (I would prove myself to them - they chose to blow me off. I am not afraid to say it if they read my posts) last year.  They "killed" my moral. I submitted only one book this year and submitted the last batch of my books on 3/18/2022 (before previous increased prices).

I enjoyed their company and had several friends with them. That was 2018 (my last year for Signature Series and it was a blast time).  CGC changed everything since Matt Nelson was promoted to the president of the company.  They are different now after Blackstone purchased the company.

I decided to limit selling on eBay this year.  They report 1099-K annually.  I recently sold four graded books via Comiclink. The result was slightly disappointed with little profit.  Yes, the margin of the profit is hurtful.  I made a lot of money until 2019 but after that, Sales Tax, CGC's increasing prices and insane shipping costs are disaster economically I don't enjoy.  It forces me to look other alternatives to make money.

It's definitely my last year with CGC and my membership will be the last one (Elite - $150 credit and 10% discount on the submission online).  It will be my last drop off at CGC booth at Chicago Wizard World in August.  I will not go to any convention after Chicago WW. 

I definitely will buy CGC books from anyone for sure.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:09 PM, october said:

Haven't submitted a single book in two years and counting and I still manage to make money and collect. Just stop bending over.

I’m jumping on this bandwagon. One last shipment out for me next week and then I’m a raw dog too. 

On 4/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, Kevin76 said:

I should be like all the dealers and start charging the GPA based on what I think it'll grade at for raw books, If I think it's a 9.2 and GPA says it sells for $850. That's the price it'll be.  Even though I can't make that guarantee and the buyer ends up with an 8.5 

And also has to pay $100 more in grading fees and shipping to confirm that raw dog 9.2 is actually only a CGC 8.5 (and, hopefully, a blue label).

I really do not see the dealers lining up to submit to CGC as much as I used around fifteen years ago when I got back into this hobby.  I see a lot more raw "wall books" than graded "wall books".

Now, if CGC's idea here is to purposely increase prices to lower volume while retaining the same profit margin, they will succeed for the short term.

Here is how this plays out:

• Fewer books at shows are going to be graded
  • Fewer books wind up at shows in CGC holders. 
  • Competitors books MAY outnumber CGC books.
  • People become used to seeing a competitor's books
  • People believe that the competitor is the way to go and not CGC since obviously "everyone" gets their books graded through the competitor.
  • Bye bye CGC 

Just a stupid move. 

On 4/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, JollyComics said:

No, it didn't kill my enjoyment of my comic book collection.  CGC took fun out of it.  I don't enjoy overpaying CGC's service and many unexcused errors/unreliability and they didn't hire me for the job (I would love to help them out during the crazy time) or invite me to their CGC Academy (I would prove myself to them - they chose to blow me off. I am not afraid to say it if they read my posts) last year.  They "killed" my moral. I submitted only one book this year and submitted the last batch of my books on 3/18/2022 (before previous increased prices).

I enjoyed their company and had several friends with them. That was 2018 (my last year for Signature Series and it was a blast time).  CGC changed everything since Matt Nelson was promoted to the president of the company.  They are different now after Blackstone purchased the company.

I decided to limit selling on eBay this year.  They report 1099-K annually.  I recently sold four graded books via Comiclink. The result was slightly disappointed with little profit.  Yes, the margin of the profit is hurtful.  I made a lot of money until 2019 but after that, Sales Tax, CGC's increasing prices and insane shipping costs are disaster economically I don't enjoy.  It forces me to look other alternatives to make money.

It's definitely my last year with CGC and my membership will be the last one (Elite - $150 credit and 10% discount on the submission online).  It will be my last drop off at CGC booth at Chicago Wizard World in August.  I will not go to any convention after Chicago WW. 

I definitely will buy CGC books from anyone for sure.

Well you made it sound like you were leaving the hobby lol

My real adult comic making income has just started now that everyone is out of my way because the CGC Covid TaT vortex has been cleared.

Unfortunately for me my business model is tied directly to CGC, so there is nothing I can do when they raise their fees. Others are in a position to vote with their wallet, but for me all I do is adjust the best I can and keep the money train going. :cheers: 

On 4/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, Buzzetta said:

I would really like to have a second piece of property / vacation home that I could know others are enjoying rather than boxes of newsprint.   That would bring me far greater joy. 

I am yet inherited and have to hold my collection for my kids' future.  See how it will go to which direction.