• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con 2023 - Charlotte NC - June 16-18 (STERANKO, SIENKIEWIC, CLAREMONT, THOMAS, JRJR, SHOOTER, FRENZ, GRELL, more!)
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 4:17 PM, Dale Roberts said:

All those guys had their stuff priced too high. I did over 30K on Sunday. It was a great show. 

Did you have to go through and give each book a price trim or were you offering a discount?  Just curious since you have a lot of books.

Edited by 1Cool

On 6/20/2023 at 3:18 PM, 1Cool said:

Did you have to go through and give each book a price trim or were you offering a discount?  Just curious since you have a lot of books.

Most of my stuff was price adjusted early in the year. I got right at sticker price or close on every book.

The biggest laugh I had at a booth was someone selling a 1st Harley Quinn, 2.5 CBCS for $350!

Overheard another dealer say he had only made $300 on Sunday afternoon, but his prices were insane. Saw several things I needed but not at the prices. 

Edited by StingerMcK

I didn't really get a chance to browse like I would normally do at the show, since I had the wife and grandson with me, but when trying to find and inquire about the X-Men #6, the pricing on the 5 copies that I found ran from overpriced (in my opinion) for the two low grade copies that I saw at two different booths to what I would call priced fairly.  Dale had two of the nicest (higher grade and visual appealing) copies that I saw and both I felt were priced right for the grade that they were in.  They were just more than I was willing to spend at the time or I would have bought the ungraded copy.  I did end up picking up X-Men #67 from Dale to continue my buying something from his booth each show.  The one that I ended up buying was not as nice as the copies that Dale had, but more in the price range that I was looking to spend and still in the condition range that I was looking for and visual appealing.  

I feel that the people who did well had books priced about right and those were the booths that I saw people digging through boxes and buying stuff.

Psy

I'm curious how much an attendee is willing to barter with a dealer regarding price. I don't mean disrespectful and unrealistic bartering but- for example- offer $220 for a book marked at $250. It's been my experience that if you're running low on cash but negotiate a little, most dealers are willing to work with you.

On 6/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

I'm curious how much an attendee is willing to barter with a dealer regarding price. I don't mean disrespectful and unrealistic bartering but- for example- offer $220 for a book marked at $250. It's been my experience that if you're running low on cash but negotiate a little, most dealers are willing to work with you.

Don't you do that normally? 10% isn't a big deal to me as a seller on most things.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:11 PM, ygogolak said:

A couple of the hot pieces for the OA auction. Stelfreeze Storm. He's always at the top or top 3 of pieces for the auction.
Room was packed with a lot of great folks. One even provided some improv entertainment from time to time.

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5715.JPG

No you shut the F up! lol

That was crazy!

Let's grab a cold one together next year.  I'll buy the first round. (thumbsu

On 6/24/2023 at 5:22 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

Everybody wants to be the “winner” in a deal. I don’t like to barter. If a book is very aggressively priced I usually say thanks and move on. If we are close, depending on how much I want it, I might make a fair offer. If it is priced fair, I just pay it.

As a seller, I know I will have to usually do the “dance” and price it knowing I will have to play. I don’t like a long, drawn out negotiation. Depending on the offer, I will just shoot out the “meet in the middle” price. That usually does it. If you ask my “best price”, that is my best price and end of conversation. I have been told that it isn’t “worth that”. I usually explain that they are right. I tell them to take it to a store an offer it for a gallon of milk. This is often junk that most people would throw away. Eventually, it comes down to two people that feel it has value. Many times it is worth more to me to keep than the potential buyer. I just want a quick and simple transaction that makes us both satisfied. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/12/2023 at 1:50 AM, silverseeker said:

Overall, I had a fantastic time and am glad I had a chance to finally check out this show, but will not make it back out in the future because of the cost of getting there and the fact that my want list is small and full of many higher-dollar books that I'd most likely buy already CGC-graded, somewhat eliminating the need to examine them in person.

I would highly recommend checking out this show at least once just for the volume of books and the experience!

It's also a great show to meetup with your virtual friends. Put a face to the name and share some collecting stories!

On 7/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, ygogolak said:

It's also a great show to meetup with your virtual friends. Put a face to the name and share some collecting stories!

Baltimore is also good for that, too. GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... Heroes was my first BIG Con, so it will always have a soft spot ... my first love, so to speak. I wish I still had the higher grade Marvel Mystery 82 that I got there for 1K from Harley.