• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Comic Con - Novi MI - May 19-21 2023 - (CGC BOOTH, DONNY CATES, RYAN STEGMAN, STEPHEN AMELL, CHRISTOPHER LLOYD, CARL WEATHERS, JASON ISAACS, more)

26 posts in this topic

IMO this used to be a top 5-10 national COMIC convention, very much in the same category of Baltimore or Heroes, but it unfortunately has become as much of a pop culture con as some of the other big shows.  That said I am stoked and I know that Harley and some of the other local dealers have books from that FANTAST Collection to sell so I think it will be worth it this year.

With CGC being back and having a booth this year, I plan on actually sending a few books in.  They have not been at Motor City since 2019 before the pandemic, and of course their first time in Michigan in 4 years is right after another rate hike and elimination of the express tier! :pullhair:  I'll feel better after I dig through some dollar boxes lol

I used to drive down to this show from Toronto with a bunch of buddies, and it was always a fun little road trip.  The show was worthwhile to purchase cheap books, key books, original comic art, and pick up a sketch or two.

there used to be several dealers set up from the Greater Toronto Area at the show, and we’d always bump into dozens of friends and fellow collectors, too

No longer!  this show has been in a downward spiral since 2015, and based on this years’ comic guest list and vendor list, I can totally understand why nobody in my collecting circle has any interest in going to the show this year.

this show used to be great, but it’s unfortunate how far it’s fallen 😞

On 4/20/2023 at 12:41 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I used to drive down to this show from Toronto with a bunch of buddies, and it was always a fun little road trip.  The show was worthwhile to purchase cheap books, key books, original comic art, and pick up a sketch or two.

there used to be several dealers set up from the Greater Toronto Area at the show, and we’d always bump into dozens of friends and fellow collectors, too

No longer!  this show has been in a downward spiral since 2015, and based on this years’ comic guest list and vendor list, I can totally understand why nobody in my collecting circle has any interest in going to the show this year.

this show used to be great, but it’s unfortunate how far it’s fallen 😞

While I think that is a tad harsh there is a lot of truth in what you are saying.  The big thing I would push back on is the 2015 timing.  I think the bottom fell out after the pandemic as just before that Dale Roberts, Bob Storm, Ted from Superworld, Reece, and a lot of the great national dealers were always at this show.  Only Reece came back after the pandemic.... once I believe.  The pandemic really hurt this show, and I know the promoter lost key staff to other promotions.  I think it remains to be seen if it is the demise of this show long term as a COMIC show or if that was a temporary step back due to the pandemic.  I know I used to buy from Dale, Ted, and Greg/Austin so I feel you on the loss of key comic dealers.

What I will say though is that this year Harley has a GREAT consignment collection he is rolling out.  I highly recommend checking it out.  (I may or may not have already sharked a few books from that but I haven't seen everything :devil:.)  There are some other really good local dealers that will still be there.  Roger and Collector Zone are back after missing a few years and Roger is going to have a VERY impressive wall this year at the show.  Make cash offers on multiple books! He also has a good selection of 5 dollar books. Comic Pop had a Startling Comics 49 on his wall last year and I know he has (as of now) a Black Cat 50 so he still has the big golden age books.  Geeky Experience is also from Michigan and has good stuff (Jason is the owner and a good dude, he said he will also be at Heroes too).  I know he has been buying the past few months.  Comicade is a new shop in Michigan, I think it actually opened during the pandemic, but they either got a great collection in or the owner seeded it with his own books because they have a tremendous wall of marvels right now.  I'm more into GA right now, but for that crowd there are some good books there.  Lawrence is the guy that owns the shop and he is a good dude.  Phat daddy has good stuff, I think he is from Ohio and not Michigan actually, but he is a good guy with good books.  One last guy I really like is Brad at Brad's comics and toys but like the name sounds he is 50/50 between the two.  He has good prices on his stuff and usually a good 1, 2, or 3 dollar selection of books.

I guess my take would be that the show used to be an A show and is now a C show, but not an F show.  Just my take, I still think it is worth going to, especially with what Harley has, but if you go in with pre-pandemic expectations you are going to be disappointed.

Edited by SkOw

On 4/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, SkOw said:

While I think that is a tad harsh there is a lot of truth in what you are saying.  The big thing I would push back on is the 2015 timing.  I think the bottom fell out after the pandemic as just before that Dale Roberts, Bob Storm, Ted from Superworld, Reece, and a lot of the great national dealers were always at this show.  Only Reece came back after the pandemic.... once I believe.  The pandemic really hurt this show, and I know the promoter lost key staff to other promotions.  I think it remains to be seen if it is the demise of this show long term as a COMIC show or if that was a temporary step back due to the pandemic.  I know I used to buy from Dale, Ted, and Greg/Austin so I feel you on the loss of key comic dealers.

What I will say though is that this year Harley has a GREAT consignment collection he is rolling out.  I highly recommend checking it out.  (I may or may not have already sharked a few books from that but I haven't seen everything :devil:.)  There are some other really good local dealers that will still be there.  Roger and Collector Zone are back after missing a few years and Roger is going to have a VERY impressive wall this year at the show.  Make cash offers on multiple books! He also has a good selection of 5 dollar books. Comic Pop had a Startling Comics 49 on his wall last year and I know he has (as of now) a Black Cat 50 so he still has the big golden age books.  Geeky Experience is also from Michigan and has good stuff (Jason is the owner and a good dude, he said he will also be at Heroes too).  I know he has been buying the past few months.  Comicade is a new shop in Michigan, I think it actually opened during the pandemic, but they either got a great collection in or the owner seeded it with his own books because they have a tremendous wall of marvels right now.  I'm more into GA right now, but for that crowd there are some good books there.  Lawrence is the guy that owns the shop and he is a good dude.  Phat daddy has good stuff, I think he is from Ohio and not Michigan actually, but he is a good guy with good books.  One last guy I really like is Brad at Brad's comics and toys but like the name sounds he is 50/50 between the two.  He has good prices on his stuff and usually a good 1, 2, or 3 dollar selection of books.

I guess my take would be that the show used to be an A show and is now a C show, but not an F show.  Just my take, I still think it is worth going to, especially with what Harley has, but if you go in with pre-pandemic expectations you are going to be disappointed.

My decision to not do the show had little to do with the show. The pandemic showed me that with the website, I don't need to do as many shows. I always did great at Motor City, in fact the last couple of years I did the show were my best years for sales. However, I have teenagers at home and want to be able to be involved in their lives during this time, before college. I did the show every year from 1994 - 2019 and I certainly miss seeing all of the guys I sold to and bought from each and every year. 

Harley told me since the pandemic, they have moved the comic guys sort of to the side. That being said, I may do the show again at some point. 

On 4/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, Dale Roberts said:

My decision to not do the show had little to do with the show. The pandemic showed me that with the website, I don't need to do as many shows. I always did great at Motor City, in fact the last couple of years I did the show were my best years for sales. However, I have teenagers at home and want to be able to be involved in their lives during this time, before college. I did the show every year from 1994 - 2019 and I certainly miss seeing all of the guys I sold to and bought from each and every year. 

Harley told me since the pandemic, they have moved the comic guys sort of to the side. That being said, I may do the show again at some point. 

Although it sucks not getting to buy books from you, I LOVE where your priorities are! :applause:

I will echo that they somewhat moved the comics off to the side but the good news is that they are all together and still close to the new main entrance.  Comics are actually where they always were, it is just that the front entrance has been moved.  It is hard to describe but the venue has a new section the promoter rents, along with the second level now for more panels/activities, but the whole layout is different now.

I hope that you do come back at some point.  People in Michigan still talk about you!! (thumbsu

Matt (SkOw) is being modest - his booth is always a must stop when you go to this Con.  He has a ton of keys at great prices and he always does a fantastic bulk discount so you can't go wrong checking out his current books.

On 4/19/2023 at 9:45 PM, SkOw said:

IMO this used to be a top 5-10 national COMIC convention, very much in the same category of Baltimore or Heroes, but it unfortunately has become as much of a pop culture con as some of the other big shows.  That said I am stoked and I know that Harley and some of the other local dealers have books from that FANTAST Collection to sell so I think it will be worth it this year.

With CGC being back and having a booth this year, I plan on actually sending a few books in.  They have not been at Motor City since 2019 before the pandemic, and of course their first time in Michigan in 4 years is right after another rate hike and elimination of the express tier! :pullhair:  I'll feel better after I dig through some dollar boxes lol

I couldn't find any information regarding cgc being there, where did you see this? As I'm trying to get a few comics graded

On 5/13/2023 at 3:33 PM, Lioalexander said:

I couldn't find any information regarding cgc being there, where did you see this? As I'm trying to get a few comics graded

Okay so it was on their website a few weeks ago in the featured comic guest section along with Donny Cates, Stegman, etc. I am 100% sure it was there. It is now NOT there.  I will try to reach the promoter but my guess is that they cancelled or it was a mistake as cgc used to be at this show every year. I’ll post an update as soon as I have one, if I do.  I’m sorry but this type of spoon harkens to the other comments about the show going downhill. :frustrated:

Oof. Heading to this con for the first time ever.  Disappointing to hear that it has become focused on pop culture, just like many other cons these days.  I get that these shows are trying to appeal to a broader audience (to make more cash), but it's sad when a comic convention pushes actual comic vendors down the list in order of importance for the event.

Although, from some of the info above, sounds like maybe it was out of their hands a bit with vendors backing out after the pandemic. Ugh.

I loved the Baltimore con the first time I went, but when I went back in 2021 it just wasn't the same. Felt like way less comic vendors and way more t-shirts, funko, toys, artists, etc.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy myself, hoping to close out Daredevil 1-200 by picking up the 10 or so random (non-key) books I have left for the run!

On 5/16/2023 at 9:47 PM, UncleAnwar said:

Oof. Heading to this con for the first time ever.  Disappointing to hear that it has become focused on pop culture, just like many other cons these days.  I get that these shows are trying to appeal to a broader audience (to make more cash), but it's sad when a comic convention pushes actual comic vendors down the list in order of importance for the event.

Although, from some of the info above, sounds like maybe it was out of their hands a bit with vendors backing out after the pandemic. Ugh.

I loved the Baltimore con the first time I went, but when I went back in 2021 it just wasn't the same. Felt like way less comic vendors and way more t-shirts, funko, toys, artists, etc.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy myself, hoping to close out Daredevil 1-200 by picking up the 10 or so random (non-key) books I have left for the run!

There are still some great books in the room.  You should be able to find those Daredevils. Good luck!

@Lioalexander The promoter’s web people put up the cgc booth logo (CGC used to do this show every year from at least 2014-2019) from a past show. They have since fixed it. It is actually a CGC witness for signatures. Just someone who didn’t know unfortunately.  :facepalm:

FYI too, CGC will be at heroes in Charlotte. 

On 5/18/2023 at 9:12 PM, SkOw said:

@Lioalexander The promoter’s web people put up the cgc booth logo (CGC used to do this show every year from at least 2014-2019) from a past show. They have since fixed it. It is actually a CGC witness for signatures. Just someone who didn’t know unfortunately.  :facepalm:

FYI too, CGC will be at heroes in Charlotte. 

Skow, how is the line to get in?

On 4/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, Dale Roberts said:

"I did the show every year from 1994 - 2019 . . .."

Has there been much high-grade GA most years? The last time I attended, the only guys with high-grade GA were Ed Jaster and Chris Foss. (If you were there, I must have missed your booth, or you must not have had any high-grade GA on your wall.) I did buy a book from Ed, but I decided that it wasn't worth paying admission to see the inventory of two dealers, so I haven't been back.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 5/19/2023 at 5:45 PM, electricprune said:

Skow, how is the line to get in?

Lines wrapped around the building Saturday but moved quick. Not as bad Friday. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:54 PM, electricprune said:

I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Sunday is usually a lot easier.  I used to always go only on Friday and Sunday.  Saturday is so many cosplayers, tire kickers, and families.  It is overwhelming.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:03 PM, SkOw said:

Sunday is usually a lot easier.  I used to always go only on Friday and Sunday.  Saturday is so many cosplayers, tire kickers, and families.  It is overwhelming.

I might suck it up and go tomorrow. I just can’t deal with the lines there anymore.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:35 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

"I did the show every year from 1994 - 2019 . . .."

Was there been much high-grade GA most years? The last time I attended, the only guys with high-grade GA were Ed Jaster and Chris Foss. (If you were there, I must have missed your booth, or you must not have had any high-grade GA on your wall.) I did buy a book from Ed, but I decided that it wasn't worth paying admission to see the inventory of two dealers, so I haven't been back.

I'm sorry that was your experience and as a GA guy myself (although I buy GA at ALL grades) I have had similiar experiences in the last 4-5 years.  However, this might have been the absolute best GA con I've been to in Michigan.  Harley had an excellent consignment and three other local dealers just picked up excellent collections and two of them were high grade.  A dealer out of Flint Michigan just got a tremendous collection of books, EC, Avon, etc all in high grade.  Picked up a VERY nice Ghostly Weird Stories 124 at less than half GPA in grade which isn't bad for a deireable LB Cole cover.  I unfortunately didn't get pics yet.  Dealer out of GR on the west side of Michigan just scored a fantastic collection of GA from a long term customer.  Those were the two better ones, and another had a small mid to low grade one on consignment I believe.  Roger from Collector Zone had some high grade ECs and I also picked up some books from some of my usual GA guys like Gary Gamboa out of Indiana who had some nice new stock.  I have pics of some books I'll post.