• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice on a Trade
2 2

27 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2023 at 11:18 AM, chaddesden33 said:

As a matter of interest, could you let us know what you regard as being the first ten early SA Marvel titles?

Amazing Spider-Man
Avengers
Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Incredible Hulk #1 - #6
Journey into Mystery #83 - #92
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos
Strange Tales #101 - #110
Tales of Suspense #39 - #48
Tales to Astonish #27, #35 - #44

I agree with all of those but believe there is actually a 'first eleven' of early SA Marvel titles which includes X-Men. Also, I wondered if you have AF #15 to supplement your ASM #s1-10 set?

Still, it's quite an achievement to be just eleven issues away from completing first ten issue runs of those ten titles. Best of luck in hunting down the missing numbers.

I can't comprehend why I didn't think of the X-Men. Let's just go with a "senior moment." Fortunately, I have X-Men #1 - #16, all in CGC 6.0 or higher, except for #1. And yes, I do have an AF #15.

Here are the issues I still need: 

Incredible Hulk: #3
Journey into Mystery: #85 - #89 and #91
Strange Tales: #106 - #107
Tales of Suspense: #45
Tales to Astonish: #36

Edited by Math Teacher

We all have senior moments....mine come with increasing frequency!

You've got all of the first issues across the eleven titles and ASM/ FF #s 1-10, so with patience and a bit of luck the 'missing' numbers should show up for reasonable prices in the not too distant future.

Keep us posted on your progress.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:51 PM, Axelrod said:

I think that is a very nicely presenting 1.5.  Probably would not do this trade either, though I know very little of respective values.  Seems like you would be getting the low end right now?

On 4/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, The Lions Den said:

Maybe have some cash thrown in to sweeten the deal?  

... Your Avengers 1 seems to have already been downgraded due to the PQ, it appears nicer than 1.5. Trade it for another Key if you must, not a mid run book. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, Math Teacher said:

Well, I have decided to take everyone's advice. I am no longer going to pursue this trade. 

I currently have my Avengers #1 posted for sale on IG, with an asking price of $1,500. I have gotten a lot of likes, but no one has shown any interest. I will probably take it down in a day or two. I might try to post it here, but I think it will generate even less interest here.

@Funnybooks alerted me to a Hulk #3 CGC 4.5 for $1,499 on IG. Unfortunately, while I was negotiating for a lower price, someone else claimed it. As @Funnybooks said to me yesterday, another one will show sooner or later.

I have to be honest. I was falling into the trap that many of us fall into. I just felt that I "needed" to buy a new comic. After waiting for some time, I came to my senses and realized that as much as I wanted a Hulk #3, trading my Avengers #1 for it was not a good idea.

I will keep looking for the eleven issues to complete my goal of obtaining the first ten issues of the first ten early SA Marvel titles. At the same time, I need to start saving up so I can get a copy of Avengers #1 in CGC 6.0.

Thank you very much for everyone that contributed their advice. Best wishes to all of you!

Have you considered Myslabs? You'd be looking at a 4.9% fee in total. You could advertise the listing here on the "comics market sales advertising" forum for Ebay, etc. Otherwise there's always the possibility of consigning to CC or Clink or maybe Lone star.

I wouldn't have done that trade either.

Coincidentally I picked up many years ago a Avengers 1 CGC 1.5 cream pages a grail book for me.

I came across a Avengers 1 CGC 6.5 off-white pages and bought that book. Then sold my 1.5 copy. I generally like to upgrade first then sell rather then trade or sell them look for a replacement. 

I made the mistake of getting rid of my Avengers 4 CGC 3.5 because it has tan pages then the prices went through the roof and I'll probably never own a copy now.