• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Flintstones #1 35-Cent Variant
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Super rare book. Only 10 in the census and only a single recorded sale in 2017 of $1000 for a 1.0 with a 2" piece cut out of it and detached cover.

This one was found in Ohio.

Here are some pre clean/press pics.

Worst problems I see are the creases in front bottom corner, foxing on back, small stains on back. The front top edge and corner in the pics looks rough, but it's a lot better than it looks, it will press fine.

I'm guessing a 5.0-5.5 at present but any guess what it can hit if I can get the stains/foxing out with some blue light and the corner creases are the only major fault?

20230422-205051.JPG

20230422-205118.JPG

20230422-205216.JPG

20230422-205255.JPG

Edited by agamoto
Added condition comment on top right corner

How much did the foxing cover the back cover?  All I could see is the left edge and bottom.  I would say the foxing covered 1/4 of the back cover.

It depends how much points will be deducted.   I had NM+ structure copy of Captain America #109 but the back cover has the foxing that covered near 5/8 of the back cover.  CGC graded it 8.0.  That's 6 point drop.

Just an update... I did clean/press the book, including light therapy to help get rid of all the foxing and yellowing on every single page of the book. It was improved substantially but I wouldn't have given it more than a 6.0 that's for sure. I sold it raw on eBay for $2750 in June as I needed the money. 1.5 months later, a 10th copy hit the census @ 7.0. Can't say it's this one, but given the rarity of the book, it very well likely is. Quite a little prize and an unexpected grade if that's the case.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, WestCoast Will said:

Incredible find! How did you get your hands on this? 4.0 IMO, assuming no issues with the interior or centerfold stapling.

Spotted a sliver of the top and the spine in a pile of 70's archie comics on goodwill's website and was able to see just enough of the cover to identify it as the #1 35 cent variant. I think I got the whole lot for around $40

On 5/28/2023 at 9:25 PM, rolo77 said:

A  CGC 7.0 was listed on Ebay March 23 2023 for 5000, and was taken down and sold, to a off line buyer, thats last one sold

As mentioned above, a new 7.0 hit the census in July. I don't think mine was 7.0 worthy, but it's possible I guess. It also could have been a reholder or a cpr of the 7.0 that sold in march.  

Edited by agamoto