• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Cover

5 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2023 at 10:14 AM, Pvh said:

How would a fully detached cover affect grading? Would the book receive a "quailified" grade? Thanks for the info

If it's otherwise high-grade, most likely. For example, if you think it's an 8.5, then it will be Qualified. If you think it's a 3.0, it would be Universal.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If it's otherwise high-grade, most likely. For example, if you think it's an 8.5, then it will be Qualified. If you think it's a 3.0, it would be Universal.

This is pretty much the answer. Don't quote me but I am pretty sure the best blue label I ever personally saw was 4.0 for a Golden Age book. Typically though for the shape of those types of books, you can expect a blue 1.0-3.0 when the cover is detached.

I know that a very sharp copy of Hulk 180 was detached at one staple and received a blue label 6.5 (which is the highest grade I have seen for a book with a detached staple, that I can recall). There might have been a Golden Age one that landed in the 7s but I cannot seem to find it if it was posted on these boards somewhere....

Edited by comicginger1789

Not speaking for CGC...The 1st mention of a "loose/detached cover" in the grading standards is in VG 4.0.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF): 8.0 VERY FINE (VF): Centerfold is mostly secure.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN): 6.0 FINE (FN):  Centerfold may be loose.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG): Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached, Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG): Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple, Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

2.0 GOOD (GD): Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached, Centerfold may be loose or detached.

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD): Cover shows considerable wear and may be detached, Centerfold may be loose or detached.