• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about stickers on comic cover

9 posts in this topic

I am buying a comic that has a sticker on the back cover. How would that affect the grading? Does that automatically make the comic grade real low? I have included the picture of the back cover. 

IMG_3917.jpeg

Leave that comic where it is.  As said, the sticker is just part of the problem.  The book itself is thrashed and is what appears to be a 90's drek issue.  What comic is that anyhow?

If you're paying that sticker price for a reader copy, you're good to go and shouldn't worry about grade.  If you're paying more than 29 cents, I'd suggest you can get a better copy at whatever price you are paying. Slabbing this book would cost more than it's worth slabbed.

I'm guessing the book is Batman Adventures 12?  That's the only book with that back cover I can imagine somebody considering slabbing in that grade.  And even then it's probably not worth a slab; sell it raw for somebody who just wants to say they have a copy.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:28 AM, gradejunky said:

Leave that comic where it is.  As said, the sticker is just part of the problem.  The book itself is thrashed and is what appears to be a 90's drek issue.  What comic is that anyhow?

Some junky animated adaptation that people way overvalue.

The amount that it lowers the grade is proportional to the grade independent of the sticker.  If you have a 9.8 it'll knock it down like 5-7 full points.

If you have 3.5 it might not impact at all.

There are some comics that have a sticker THAT COMES ORIGINALLY STUCK TO THE BOOK, in which case the answer is not at all, or possibly you NEED the sticker to get a blue label.

Soooooo...it depends.

But very few people are looking for modern books with (non-original) stickers on them